Boys Soccer Receives MaxPreps Tour of Champions Award

The+boys+soccer+team+accept+their+National+Guard+recognition+for+being+one+of+the+top+ranked+teams+in+the+nation.++
Alyssa Stokovich
The boys soccer team accept their National Guard recognition for being one of the top ranked teams in the nation.

The boys varsity soccer team’s hardware keeps coming in, even four months after their state championship triumph.

Libertyville was selected to be on the 11th annual MaxPreps Soccer tour of champions, which honors 20 boys and girls teams around the nation and is presented by the National Guard.

This is only the fifth year that boys soccer has been included in the distribution of the award. Receiving this award means that this Libertyville team is among the top of all elite high school soccer programs.

The 2015 varsity squad is currently ranked No. 1 in the state, No. 1 in the region, No. 1 in Class 3A, and No. 11 in the nation. Back in November, the team defeated the Quincy Blue Devils in the class 3A finals to take home the school’s first boys soccer state title.

The Wildcats are now being recognized nationwide for their completion of a remarkable season, finishing with a record of 19-3-1. There are more than 34,000 girls and boys teams that compete at the varsity level and only 40 were picked to receive this honor.  

According to MaxPreps, “In order to be eligible, a team must win a state championship and be highly ranked in the MaxPreps National Rankings.” The high honor award was presented to the varsity players and coaches at the turnabout assembly on Feb. 19.

A trophy, poster, and T-shirts were given to the players from the National Guard. The shirts had the saying “We run this state” on the front, and the poster stated “Nationally ranked” at the top with the tour of champions logo below it.

“I was not expecting to receive an award like this one. It really resembles how Libertyville represents itself not only as a soccer program but as a school overall. I am very proud of the boys,” senior captain Kevin Reilly expressed.