All About Turnabout

This Saturday, Libertyville High School students will be blasted out of this world for the annual Turnabout dance. The entire production includes festivities that not only occur on the day of the dance, but also the week prior to it. Yet, as our school is decorated from top to bottom with each class’s theme, you may wonder, ‘Who actually puts the magic together?’ Let’s take a journey behind the scenes to give credit to the wizards who make all of your Turnabout wishes come true.
The Student Council Executive Board is responsible for the behind the scenes of planning dances and events, such as this upcoming “Out of This World” turnabout.

The discussion of Turnabout actually begins around two weeks after Homecoming because there is so much that is included in the package of the dance. The decision process for the overall theme of the dance begins during all-council meetings (which include the Executive Board along with the boards from each grade) every other Wednesday after first semester starts. According to the Student Council Executive Board, eventually Student Council has an all-council meeting where boards from each grade level design a Powerpoint with possible themes and in the end, the entire council is handed slips of paper and votes on the one that they want.

Three years ago, this process was actually different, in that the entire student body was allowed to vote in the process, but it was changed to make the decision making easier. This year’s theme, “Out of this World,” was chosen over other themes, which included “Alice in Wonderland” and travel.

Once the theme is chosen, the Student Council Executive Board begins to work on planning the assembly, Wake-up Wildcat videos regarding the dance, spirit days, and school decorations. The group is assisted by Student Activities Director Mrs. Jennifer Uliks and Student Council Advisors Mrs. Andrea Lara, Ms. Amanda Wine, and Mrs. Margaret Nicholson.

This group of advisers plans meetings with a huge amount of assistance from the Building and Grounds staff at school. Buildings and Grounds helps to set up the decorations in the gym for the actual dance.

“For the dance itself, we also have to figure out what kind of staging we want, along with deciding what DJ and lights would work best,” shared senior Student Council Co-head of Broadcasting Alyssa Seefeldt.

The StuCo group also has to plan out spirit days and make sure that they go along with the overall theme. This year, they tried to bring back spirit days that had already been requested for homecoming, including a pajama day, which they converted into a “Goodnight Moon Day” to go with the “Out of this World” theme.

Though the Student Council Exec Board helps to organize most parts of the dance, the entire Student Council body took part in DIY Day on Feb. 11, where they decorated the halls for Turnabout.

“Beforehand with the meetings that we do with the entire StuCo events, the council plans what kind of decorations we want to do out in the hallways,” shared junior Executive Board member Daniel Oh. “So on DIY day, everyone comes in and helps decorate to make sure everything is nice and space-themed.”

The class shirts that go along with the theme of the dance were designed by Seefeldt and printed by Mrs. Kim Reimers from her LHS spirit wear store, Customized Garb.

When planning the assembly, the Student Council Board has to take a lot into consideration. The group writes a script that is separated by the minute but also makes sure to leave some room for mistakes in case a video or walk-in for the Select 16 takes longer than it should.

“In planning the assembly, everything is super, super close-cut, down to the minute. Basically we can’t get out after the bell rings, so we have to fit everything in before 2:50,” shared senior Student Body President Cam Chen.

The Executive Board also worked to promote the dance through their weekly Wake-up Wildcats videos and the live feed that announced the Select 16 on Feb. 1. Junior Kien Tran and Seefeldt are mainly responsible for writing the scripts of the videos. They also receive a lot of help in filming from TV/Audio Technician Mr. Daniel Treptow, the advisor for Wildcat Productions.

The ballots for voting for the Select 16 were created by one of the Exec Board Advisors, Mrs. Nicholson and emailed out to students through a Google form.

“We do a dinner with the Select 16 in the art gallery the Friday before Turnabout,” shared Student Activities Director Mrs. Jennifer Uliks. “The Select 16 also go to the grade schools and serve as mystery readers during the week before the dance.”

Student Council also partners with Men’s Warehouse for the dance and receives complimentary tux rentals for the Select 16. This serves as a showcase for possible tux options for prom.

Last year Student Council said around 1,000 students attended Turnabout. The group hopes to bring in an even higher attendance this year.