Girls soccer crushes Lake Forest in second conference game

Triple Threat

Seniors Noah Moderwell, Riley Buncic, and Jon Evers are three talented senior starters on the varsity football team.

The Wildcat varsity football team ended their regular season undefeated, paving their way to the playoffs. The presence of strong leaders and skillful players is responsible for the team’s continuous success. These three athletes fit both of these descriptions; they stand out among a group of talented seniors, doing everything they can to better themselves and their teammates.

Jon Evers

Jon Evers, a varsity starter of two years, has proven his abilities to lead by example. As a senior, Evers leads a talented and experienced offensive line as the team’s left guard.  He has been playing the sport for seven years and can barely believe his football career is coming to an end.

Evers has started in almost every single game both this season and last. Head Coach Mike Jones calls him quick, physical, and smart. Coach Tim Budge, the defensive coordinator, describes him as the “anchor of one of our best offensive lines since I have been at LHS.”

Coach Chris Davis, the offensive coordinator, stated, “Jon is incredibly consistent and works hard in practice day in and day out on his technique.”

His work ethic and commitment do not go unnoticed by his coaches. When asked about his personal achievements, Evers always managed to bring the conversation back to his teammates, or as he likes to call them, his brothers.

“We’re really just a family. [We] do things for one another, and I think that’s really made the difference this year,” said Evers.

He plays his best for the sake of his teammates, quoting positivity and leadership as the two qualities he tries to bring to practice each and every day. He appreciates the consistent support from the fan-filled student section. Seeing the unity of the fans adds that extra motivation to win, according to Evers. His eyes are on the prize as he finishes up his last season, doing whatever it takes to win it all, not just for him, but for his “family.”

Evers exclaimed, “Being with them…seeing them…doing it for them…we’re trying to win a state championship.”

Noah Moderwell

Noah Moderwell, the starting running back for the football team, stands out for both his talent and his strength. His seven-year football career has culminated in an outstanding senior season both for him personally and for the team as a whole.  He has been responsible for 10 touchdowns, many when the opposing team was least expecting it. If the focus is on the quarterback, Moderwell utilizes his speed and agility to score. He’s been able to play more this season than he ever has in the past, as he starts in every game.

His running has been a key part of our offense’s tremendous success,” declared Coach Budge.

Moderwell noted that the unique bond between the team is one of the key reasons for their success. They are all very close both on and off the field.

“We like to make fun of each other and make light of hard situations. We try to keep things relaxed under the pressure,” he stated.

Moderwell reiterated how lucky he is to play alongside his talented teammates. They have learned how to work with each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Moderwell is one of the many senior leaders on the team whose experience and talent will carry them towards further success. Moderwell, like the rest of the team, has one goal this season.

“All I want is to do well and win state,” declared Moderwell.

Riley Buncic

Riley Buncic, a first-year transfer from Carmel High School, excels in his position of middle linebacker. Buncic is in a unique position, entering into a talented, close-knit team in his final season of high school football. Luckily for him, he had been playing with most of these guys for seven years prior to high school through the Libertyville Boys Club.

Because they spend so much time together both on and off the field, Buncic has been able to reconnect and revive friendships with his teammates. He revealed how exciting it is to be back with them, citing the team’s strong connection with one another as a vital component to the team’s winning streak. He recognizes that being a good teammate is one of the most important qualities of being a leader on the team.

“We lift everyone up instead of bringing them down in the cases that someone doesn’t do well, and we have each other’s back so we always know there’s someone out there to help,” said Buncic.

He has an important position on the team as he unites the defense and calls plays, making sure everything runs smoothly on the field. He puts all of his effort into helping the team succeed, and Coach Jones recognizes his talent. He described Buncic as “a natural athlete” with a “great size-to-speed ratio.” He is always a part of the action, delivering key plays at crucial moments, including an incredible 99-yard interception return for a Wildcat touchdown against Warren.

He is one of the fastest linebackers that I have coached, and he has a great understanding of the game,” remarked Coach Budge.

Buncic described the incomparable atmosphere under the Friday night lights, playing for a crowd of cheering fans.

“You know that you aren’t just playing for your team; there are so many other people out there that support you,” stated Buncic.