Spot the difference!
LHS in Europe

LHS offense propels them into second round of playoffs

Maria Thames
Defenders Sean O’Malley (56) and Ben Kimpler (8) apply pressure to Downers Grove North’s offense. They helped the defense keep DGN scoreless in the second half.

In their nine regular season games, the Libertyville varsity football team faced little adversity. In the opening game of the IHSA playoffs on Oct. 30, the Cats found themselves in a very competitive game early on in a 56-24 win against Downers Grove North.

Emerging at the top of the West Suburban Conference after the regular season, the Trojans of Downers Grove North came into this one as the No. 30 seed, with a 5-4 record. Although on paper the Libertyville Wildcats’ first playoff  game might have appeared to be one where the Cats would be likely to jump out to a big first-half lead so as to rest their starters in the second half, the Trojans had other plans.

On the first possession of the contest, Quarterback Riley Lees took no time in getting his team that early lead. After a long rush on the first play from scrimmage, Lees found receiver Henry Schmidt for his first of four passing touchdowns of the night.

However, the Cats’ players and fans had barely any time to celebrate the score,  as Downers Grove North’s Drew Shelly took a pitch play 65 yards to the endzone on their first offensive play to tie the game up at 7  with 10:40 left in the first quarter. That score marked the first time that the LHS defense allowed a 1st quarter point all season.

On the next possession for the Cats, Lees showed his wonderful escapability on a 17-yard pass play to Timmy Calamari. A few plays later, Lees and Cam Shaffer connected on a 25-yard score, giving LHS a 14-7 lead.

The Trojans would answer, this time with a close-to 8-minute long drive. Downers Grove North ran their offensive attack to near perfection in the first half,  as they would often switch quarterbacks for different situations. Quarterback Brandon Bancoro scored from 2 yards out to even up the game at 14 points each early in the second quarter.

The Trojans ran a very effective option attack, complete with many moving aspects to their offense, which had the Cats on their heels for most of the first half. Libertyville and Downers Grove North would trade scores again to make it 21-21 with 5:02 left in the half.

After a long, seven-play, 72-yard drive by the Cats, running back Noah Moderwell scored  a short touchdown to put LHS up 28-21 with two minutes to go in a very offense-heavy first half. But on the next Trojan possession, it was the Wildcat defense and senior Nick Neumann who would make a big play. Neumann intercepted Quinn McAnally and gave his team the ball back and a chance to go into halftime up two touchdowns. Lees found Schmidt for the second time of the game on a 12-yard score,  and LHS was up 35-21. A field goal by the Trojans to end the half would make it 35-24, with the Wildcats ahead.

In the second half, the Cats’ defense made adjustments and looked like a completely different group. As Lees (17 carries,  277 yards,  2 touchdowns; 9-10, 126 yards, 4 TDs) and the LHS offense kept scoring at will, the Cats’ defense was determined to stop the Trojan attack. Forced to get away from their running offense because of the score, Downers Grove North had troubles in the second half. The Wildcat defense stood strong and did not allow a second-half point as Libertyville defeated Downers Grove North, 56-24. Although the score doesn’t show it, the Cats got their first real taste of adversity, but they passed the test with flying colors.

In the second round of the 7A IHSA playoffs,  Libertyville will face off against the 14th  seed, Lincoln Way East (8-2). The Griffins defeated Jacobs High School 40-6 in their first-round game. Libertyville will host this second-round matchup on Saturday, Nov. 7, at 1:00. The gates will open at noon and all tickets will be five dollars.