“Blood Moon” viewable in Libertyville’s Backyard Last Night

Last night, by looking up at the sky, around the globe people were able to see the exact same thing (that is, if there weren’t any clouds)-the rare super “blood moon.” This type of moon gets its name from its reddish tint, caused by the sun rays that have traveled through the Earth’s atmosphere and shine on the moon as it is covered by the eclipse, and sometimes causes the moon to have this abnormal coloration, according to timeanddate.com.

The significance of this type of moon is that is hasn’t appeared since 1983, and it won’t return until 2033. For anyone in Libertyville that wasn’t surrounded by trees or glanced at the sky when it wasn’t cloudy, they more than likely were able to get a great view of this natural phenomenon last evening.

At around 9:15 P.M. last night, the moon was almost entirely red and easily visible.
By 10:15 P.M., the moon no longer had its reddish "blood" tint, and returned to its normal coloration, viewable through the clouds.
Photos by Maria Thames
By 10:15 P.M., the moon no longer had its reddish “blood” tint and returned to its normal coloration, viewable through the clouds.
View Comments (2)