District 128 Board Member Resigns

Mr. Ratzer will be leaving his District 128 Board position.
courtesy of Mrs. Todoric

Due to the resignation of District 128 Board of Education member Mr. William Ratzer, District 128 officials are currently looking for applicants to fill the vacant seat.

Ratzer served on the Board for four years and was about to begin his second four-year term after being elected before resigning. Citing the beginning of a new stage in his life where all three of his kids have graduated from Libertyville High School, Ratzer yielded his position for the sake of he and his wife looking for a new house, in addition to running his own business. The success of Ratzer selling his house took him by surprise, which accelerated his exit from the Board.

“This occurs occasionally with elected Board members in general, and has occurred a few times over the years in D128,” stated District 128 spokesperson Ms. Mary Todoric.

Ratzer wants to stay in the Libertyville/Vernon Hills area, stating that both are excellent communities in which to live. He understands the wealth of opportunities the district provides for its students and was grateful for his time serving on the Board. He was proud to see success progress over his years because of the hard work from students, staff and administration.

“I know that District 128 will continue to lead the way,” stated Mr. Ratzer. “I know that our students will continue to accomplish great things.”

The district posted a letter on both the Libertyville High School and Vernon Hills High School home pages, informing readers about the vacancy and what type of person they are seeking. According to the post, the candidate has to be a resident of Illinois and District 128 for at least one year, 18 years or older, a United States citizen and a registered voter.

“The Board (not administration) will appoint the new member once they review all qualified applicants,” stated Mrs. Todoric.

The District letter on the homepages noted that the newly-hired member’s term will last until April 4, 2017, which is when the next school board election will take place.

Mrs. Todoric stated that the applications are due by May 29, and that the District plans on hiring a new member no later than June 22, the next scheduled Board meeting.

“I very much enjoyed the time that I spent with [the District 128 Board],” stated Mr. Ratzer. “We have an excellent Board of Education, with the members offering many varied viewpoints, life experiences and technical skills–all very complimentary.”

Mr. Scott Luce was recently elected to the board because of a planned retirement of a past board member, leaving two new board members for next year.