Jazz Bands Perform in Final Concert of the Year
Boys water polo seizes senior night success over Highland Park
Boys volleyball comes up just short against Carmel Corsairs

Summer stuck in the ‘Ville?

Google Maps
This summer many students will be stuck here in Libertyville and are looking for things to do.

Summer is quickly coming and now is the perfect time to start planning for summertime adventures. “But what is there to do if I’m stuck Libertyville for most of the summer?”  many may ask. Believe it or not, students can find more things to do than sitting at home being hypnotized by Netflix.

On a nice sunny day in the Libertyville area, one can venture to local parks, beaches, and even waterparks. Independence Grove is a popular Lake County forest preserve. Students can enjoy flying a kite on a breezy day, swimming at the beach inside the forest preserve, and even paddle boarding on a sunny day.

Sophomore Annie Obereiner finds herself going to Independence Grove quite often over the summer because she lives within biking distance of the preserve.

“There’s so much to do and it’s a great place to go on a nice day! My favorite part is that they serve snow cones, and it’s a great place to take pictures with friends and ride bikes,” Obereiner mentioned.

Besides swimming at the beach inside Independence Grove, there are multiple local places where students can soak their toes in the sand: Lake Minear, off of Oak Spring Road, Lake Forest beach, Lake Bluff beach, and the beach on the coast of Lake Michigan in Chicago.

Of course, there are many other things to do if spending the day in Chicago over the summer because it is only about 45 minutes away from Libertyville. There is Millennium Park, where students can take a nice walk while enjoying the views and, like every tourist, take a picture by The Bean.

Sophomore Kathryn Dane said that going to the beach in the city is a “must-do.”

“Go to Millennium Park…not just the Bean but [go] to the water. That is something I would want to do,” stated Dane as her number-one thing to do in the city of Chicago.

Chicago is known for the beautiful sights and, as a student, there are many places that are filled with fun for everyone. For example, The Sugar Factory is a sweet restaurant to visit in the summer with family and friends. You can go for a tropical drink or for a cheeseburger or salad.

There are also specific events taking place in Libertyville this summer. As found on the Main Street Libertyville website, First Friday starts June 5 and goes until July 2. Sponsored by Main Street, everyone can come together in downtown Libertyville for music, refreshments, and more from 6-9 p.m. during the first Friday of each month.

Libertyville Days is one of the most popular events for students to socialize at and enjoy carnival rides. This event will take place from June 18-21. Be sure to take many pictures for Instagram!

Lastly, towards the end of the summer, residents of Libertyville all gather downtown and celebrate Dog Days of summer. This is an event for everyone, with or without a dog, to gather and watch dog events, shop for dog items, and of course, pet the cute dogs!

Sophomore Becca Smrz jumped out of her seat right when she heard the name “Dog Days of summer.”

“Dog Days! That’s where they have the dogs and it’s really fun,” Srmz said.

This event will take place July 9-12.