BREAKING NEWS: Students gather to address Israel-Palestine conflict in walkout
Boys lacrosse bests Wheaton North with 12-3 victory

New Year. New Coaches.

Mr. Mendelsohn

Mr. Mendelsohn:

Entering his second year on the team and first as head coach, Mr. Stuart Mendelsohn has been assigned to take over the boys cross country program.

Filling the hole of the legacy previous head boys cross country coach Mr. Mark Buesing left behind, Mendelsohn noted that he does indeed feel some pressure on him to continue Mr. Buesing’s values–advocating lifelong runners and building men of good character–for his future teams.

As the now two-year assistant boys distance track coach, Coach Mendelsohn has an experienced background entering his new job. Learning the best ways to manage a team, he observed how Mr. Buesing controlled and organized over 100 athletes on the team.

“There is some [pressure] I see going forward following in his footsteps, but I am going to do what I think his best. You know, Coach Mark was the Vince Lombardi of Libertyville High School sports, but I believe I have a strong grasp on what I need to do, keeping his coaching styles in the back of my head,” stated Mr. Mendelsohn.

Coach Mendelsohn is also looking forward to the amount of talent the team has going into next season.

“We have some nice pieces coming into next year. There were a few juniors on the team this year that were on varsity to go along with a strong sophomore class. We also have a few eighth graders that have been attending [summer] camp, so I’m excited to see what they can do,” stated Mendelsohn.

Hoping to increase communication with his runners and their parents, Coach Mendelsohn is looking into a way of setting up a system that connects to people’s phones and emails, letting them know if a practice or meet is postponed to a later date. He hopes that this new way of contacting the runners and their parents will cause less confusion when it comes to the question of whether or not a meet will be run.

Coach Mendelsohn is anxious for the upcoming season and is looking forward to the new opportunity before him.

Mr. Mork:

Taking over the head boys basketball coaching position that was filled by Mr. Scott Bogumil for the last 11 years, Mr. Brent Mork has been hired to lead the program. Mr. Mork, the assistant basketball coach at Stevenson for the last four years, is excited for the opportunity of getting to know his players both on and off the court in anticipation of future seasons. Mr. Mork was also hired as a physical education teacher to go along with the coaching position.

“I’m looking forward to getting to know [the players] and figuring out what I can do to help each realize his potential,” stated Mr. Mork.

Mr. Mork was a varsity basketball player for his Menomonie High School team in Wisconsin for two years and was a part of that program for four. He was also a four-year varsity golfer and was the starting quarterback his senior year.

After moving from his western Wisconsin home seven years ago, Mr. Mork always saw Libertyville as a comfortable, accepting community and environment in which he could work. Complimenting how the high school and athletics were a focal point of the community, Libertyville reminded him of the Menomonie atmosphere.

Not a proponent of mediocrity, Mr. Mork looks to develop his athletes as people as well.

“We not only want great players, we want great players who will be great students and great individuals,” stated Mr. Mork.

He noted that he has an exceptional assistant coaching staff who will help him attain his goals of developing his players into profound people and athletes.

“Great teams don’t become great by talking about it…you actually have to do the work to achieve the results,” stated Mr. Mork.

Ms. Vance:

Entering her first year as varsity cheerleading coach, Ms. Erin Vance wants her cheerleaders to come into the season with a strong, positive attitude in every practice and performance throughout the season.

“Punctuality, consistent attendance and 100 percent effort,” stated Vance. “Every team will have varying attitudes and personalities.  As a team, we will sit down and set goals for the short term and long term seasons.  All I ask is that every team member give their best, positive effort to reach those goals.”

Ms. Vance, who teaches at Oak Grove and coached the middle school cheerleading squad this past year, has plenty of experience behind her. She attended Stevenson High School, where she cheered all four years, and she later went on to competitively dance at the University of Illinois for two years.

When asked what positive attributes she will bring to the team, Ms. Vance stated that she has “strong communication skills and [is] very organized. And like all cheerleaders should, I have a ton of energy and love to push my athletes to their fullest potential.”

Unable to coach after leaving to pursue a teaching career and raise a family, Ms. Vance is looking forward to getting back into coaching. She credits Ms. Dugan (see below) for encouraging her to apply for the cheerleading coaching opening at LHS.

“I am very excited to be a Wildcat.  It seems so odd since Stevenson and LHS were bitter rivals when I was in high school, but since I have been teaching in Libertyville for the last few years, I’ve gotten past the old rivalry,” stated Ms. Vance.

Ms Dugan:

A part of the Libertyville community for most of her life, Ms. Casey Dugan attended LHS and was a four-year member of the varsity dance team. She achieved many accomplishments, such as helping the team complete a 2008 first-place finish at State in the hip-hop dance category, in addition to being named team captain her junior and senior years.

Ms. Dugan was recently hired to fill the void of previous head varsity dance coach Ms. Jacqueline Newman. Grateful for the opportunity , Ms. Dugan cannot wait to see how far the talented incoming seniors can go next year because she taught many of them their freshman year at the junior varsity level.

“I am excited to work with these young ladies again during their final year on the LHS Dance Team. We also have a very strong group of dancers at both levels this year and I am excited to see what our competitive season brings,” stated Ms. Dugan.

As a Junior Varsity Dance team coach for three years, Ms. Dugan knows what skills and steps are necessary for the girls to successfully compete at the varsity level. She noted that having the opportunity to be a part of and represent the LHS community is a privilege for these girls.

“Being a part of LHS Athletics and the LHS Dance Team provided an opportunity for me to grow as an athlete, student and community member. Those experiences stuck with me through college and I am hopeful to provide the same experiences for my athletes,” stated Ms. Dugan.

Ms. Dugan wants her athletes to be strong spirit members at athletic events, parades and assemblies. She wants to develop and positively influence the girls as much as she can.

“I will continue to push and motivate these young ladies to be the best athletes and students they can be.”