Music Festival Season Survival Guide

Kaitlyn Zabadal
A Day To Remember preforms at 2014 Warped Tour in Tinley Park.

Music festivals have been around since the 1960s. In 1969, Woodstock Music and Arts festival revolutionized music history and changed the industry forever. While festivals have grown since their birth, the connection the music brings and the culture it creates is arguably more alive than ever. Thousands of people journey to areas near our own, coming together to enjoy all sorts of music in an easy-going environment to experience music and art. It’s a time where festivals sell out within hours before a lineup is even released, a time where festivals are attended by the masses, while still keeping the culture they are known for. Whether you’re an avid festival goer or a newbie, DOI has you covered for all of your summer music festival needs.

Here are some local festivals that we recommend you check out over the summer:

Spring Awakening: 18+

Solider Field. June 12-14.

Top Three Must See:

Keys N Krates

Jack U

Excision

Summerfest: All Ages

Summerfest Grounds, WI. June 24-28, 30. July 1-5.

Top Three Must See:

The Mowglii’s

Pepper

AWOLNATION

Country Thunder: All Ages

Twin Lakes, WI. July 23-26.

Top Three Must See:

Tyler Farr

Blake Shelton

Luke Bryan

Warped Tour: All Ages

Tinley Park (First Midwest Bank Amphitheater), IL. July 25.

Milwaukee (Marcus Amphitheater), WI. July 28.

Top Three Must See:

Pierce the Veil

Mod Sun

Pvris

Lollapolooza: All Ages

Chicago (Grant Park), IL. July 31- August 2.

Top Three Must See:

Tame Impala

Caked Up

Hasley

Pitchfork: All Ages.

Chicago (Union Park), IL. July 17-19.

Top Three Must See:

Chance the Rapper

Chvrches

A$AP Ferg

North Coast: 17+

Chicago (Union Park), IL. September 4-6.

Top Three Must See:

Portugal, The Man

The Glitch Mob

Kill The Noise

Riot Fest: All Ages.

Chicago (Humbolt Park), IL. September 11-13.

Top Three Must See:

Modest Mouse

New Politics

New Friends

Tips

1. Save Money: An easy way to save money is by taking advantage of early bird ticket prices. By now if you haven’t already gotten the early bird price, you’re probably out of luck as summer is quickly approaching. Most festivals run promotions or free ticket giveaways on their websites or social media pages, be sure to check them out. Summerfest for example, is known for its affordability and each year it offers free admission opportunites during certain dates/times. In addition, some festivals have volunteer options that can actually be quite fun: you get to work with friends and meet people who share your love of music.
  2. Plan Your Schedule: The moment the lineup is released, us music lovers go crazy. We start sweating and convince ourselves that it’s possible to see both of our favorite artists who happen to playing at the same time. When attending a festival, it is essential to know when and where your artists are playing. Most festivals will provide a set list/map (sometimes for a small fee) at the entrance. Also, be sure to check out new artists as well. Sometimes, the best music you find could be on accident.
  3. Make Travel Arrangements: If you plan on driving be sure to pack essentials, fill your car up with gas, etc.
  4. Plan Your Meeting Spot: It’s common to lose your group when you attend a large festival, and in the event that your group loses each other, plan a meeting spot ahead of time.
  5. Charge Your Phone: If you plan on taking your phone, don’t forget to charge it! While most festivals will have some sort of charging station, some don’t. Plan ahead and bring a portable charger if you think you’ll need one.
  6. Bring a Backpack: Festivals tend to give out free stuff, whether it be at the merch tents or the artists throwing things out into the crowd, so bring a backpack or any sort of easy-to-carry bag to stash all of the free stuff you receive. Backpacks could also be a good way to hold other essentials: sunscreen, water bottles, sunglasses, etc.
  7. Hydrate/Eat: There is a reason why some of the biggest festivals in the Midwest take place during summertime: It’s hot! Hot days are known to be killer for people who are prone to headaches and fainting. Make sure to know where the water stations of the festival are (they all have them). Don’t forget to eat something and stay away from heavy foods like Chipotle and McDonald’s (don’t worry, you can have them once the festivities are over).
  8. Make New Friends: You are bound to run into some people that you know, and meet many new people, so be nice to everybody.
  9. Art/Activities: Many festivals have art and other fun activities that take place throughout the day, don’t forget to check them out.
  10. Have fun (and be safe): Festivals can be great if you make them great. Be laid back, friendly, and enjoy the music. Don’t forget to be safe, stick with your group, and coordinate somewhere to meet after the festival.

Attire

An ideal day for a festival would be warm and sunny, but be sure to prepare for any kinds of weather. No matter what festival(s) you plan on attending, be sure to dress comfortably.

Where to shop:

• Urban Outfitters
  • PacSun
  • Forever 21
  • Target
  • Walmart
  • Michael’s
  • Jo-Ann Fabrics
  • Horsefeathers

What’s Trending: Festival Styles

• Snapbacks
  • Floppy Hats
  • Vans
  • Moccasins
  • Tribal Print
  • Fringe
  • Tie Dye
  • Tanks
  • Fun Sunglasses
  • Hawaiian Shirts
  • Kimonos
  • Boho Dresses
  • Patterned Socks
  • Body Jewelry

Q&A with LHS Festival Goers

Q: What is your festival style?

Andy Benish: “I generally wear hawaiian shirts because they are breezy and everyone loves them.”

Nadia Carabello: “I’ll wear my favorite summer attire because you’ll be super hot all day and want to look cute.”

Lauren McLaughlin: “My style is how it usually is […] more flowy I suppose. I like clothes [that are] fun to dance in and anklets with bells, things that are light and colorful so I guess bohemian ish.”

Q: What festivals are you attending this summer?

Nadia Carabello: “I’m attending North Coast, Summerfest, Lollapalooza and a new festival coming to chicago called Mamby on the Beach.”

Lauren McLaughlin: “This summer will be my first year at both Electric Forest and Bonnaroo in Tennesee. My first summer for camping festivals! I’m also attending Lollapalooza for the third year and North Coast for the the third year. This will be my first summer missing Spring Awakening in Chicago which is sad because it’s one of my favs.”

Natalie Spilman: “The festivals are quite limited this summer due to them moving the age limit of two of my favorites (Spring Awakening 18+, North Coast 17+) but last year North Coast was definitely my favorite. This year I’ll be at Summerfest, Pitchfork, Wicker Park Fest, Lollapolooza (I hope), Warped Tour, and Mamby on the Beach!”

Q: What artist are you most exited to see?

Andy Benish: “I’m pretty excited to see Purity Ring on June 8 and seeing Kid Cudi at Lollapalooza.”

Nadia Carabello: “I’m definitely super pumped to see Chance [the Rapper], Sublime With Rome, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.”

Lauren McLaughlin: “I’m stoked to see Florence and the Machine at both Bonnaroo and our home of Chicago at Lolla! Florence Welch is my number one influence of like every creative aspect of my life so it’ll be a life changer for sure. I’m also excited to see Bassnectar for the third time! I’ll be seeing him at three festivals as well this summer, he’s an electronic genius. Atmosphere is a legendary rapper I haven’t seen yet so I can’t wait! Michal Menert will be fantastic too. He’s more mellow EDM artist that used to be a part of Pretty Lights but now djs solo. He’s an awesome person for sure.”

Q: Do you have any artists you would suggest that people check out?

Natalie Spilman: The Mowgli’s and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Lauren McLaughlin: “It all depends on what music someone is into… If you like EDM, Bassnectar is a classic. Most festivals consist of a lot of electronic music, so i would recommend bBassnectar , Griz, Gramatik, Disco Biscuits, Emancipator, Pretty Lights, or Thriftworks. [They all] put on quite a show!”

Q: Why do you go to music festivals?

Lauren McLaughlin: “I go to music festivals for the most important and obvious reason… To see the music and musicians [that] I listen to religiously, perform and come to life! It’s an amazing experience for any concert goer… Listening and seeing the music. It’s magical. The people you meet, the music you dance to, the atmosphere around you is total euphoria! It’s all so thrilling and relaxing and crazy and happy. They’re where memories are made! You’re young for such a limited time, so exploring all that’s out there and adventuring with your friends is so so important to me! Of course they can be dangerous, but with the right experience and precautions, staying out of trouble and danger is not much of an issue.”

And, there you have it! Don’t forget to be safe and enjoy yourself at all of the festivals you choose to attend this summer!