Everyone is Going with the Flow

Pacholski believed that his luscious mane was the key to his success on the soccer field this season.

It is scientifically proven that it improved test scores nationwide. It has been found to increase strength and athleticism in athletes everywhere, even non-athletes who do not even want to find those boosts. It immediately gives soaring confidence to whomever bears it. Is it a superfood? Is it a drug?

No; it is a very simple lifestyle change that is occurring in Libertyville High School’s hallways in the 2014-2015 season: guys are growing out their flow.

No, growing out your hair does not result in unexplainable improvements on test scores nor unspeakable athletic gains, and it does not immediately change the personalities of those who grow out such luscious locks. Then why are so many guys at LHS growing out their hair? And why is now the time to do it?

According to LHS senior Derek Feiereisel, whose hair is now almost down to his shoulders, the trend came from a very simple beginning; he said that eventually “it started to look cool, and more and more people were doing it.” Fellow senior and representer of flow Sam Muchmore agreed that the trend began the way most trends begin: people were trying something new, it looked good, and it caught on.

It is not a foreign idea for gentlemen to let their hair go a little longer; it has always been a style for senior Ryan Pacholski, who has “always liked [his] hair a little longer,” but did not decide to truly commit to the flow until December 2013. He said that it has been long ever since, undergoing only minor trimmings periodically.

Feiereisel, on the other hand, a lifelong buzz cut recipient “figured that he might as well give it a try” after so many people started participating. He has not cut off a significant amount of hair in the better part of nine months.

It was most obvious to notice the phenomenon in attendance at a boys’ varsity soccer game this past fall, where a high percentage of the roster displayed their lengthy manes. When asked why the style was so prevalent amongst the squad, senior Kyle Robson stated that the flow looked excellent in the “headbands and ponytails that [they] wore.” The three soccer players — Pacholski, Muchmore, and Robson — all declared that soccer players have the best flow, with each awarding a professional soccer star with the honor when asked who has the best flow in the world. Feiereisel also believes that the man with the best flow is a soccer star as well, though one on a much more local scale: Pacholski; according to Feiereisel, “it’s beautiful.”

But with such great flow, comes great responsibility. While there may be a lot of work that goes into maintaining long hair, the guys insist that it does not take as much time in the morning to prepare as one may be inclined to believe. Muchmore said that it only takes him 10 minutes to get ready in the morning. He and Robson both agree that using conditioner is a necessity to keep the hair looking shiny and clean, in addition to air drying after daily showers with shampoo. The minimal extra work in the mornings is all worth it in the end for a thick, shiny mane, as the four boys plan on keeping their flow as long as it still looks exceptional.

Even though guys growing out their hair may be a tedious process, it is a trend that is covering Libertyville High School this year. Going with the flow does not improve any quality of life — even though Pacholski claims his very successful soccer campaign this season was the result of hair that was much longer than it was last season — but it seems to be making students happy with their appearance. They would not stick with it for a full year if they did not believe it was doing them justice. And if it makes you happy and it is free, why not try it?