Mind Over Matter: Choosing Happiness

Aristotle once said “Happiness depends upon ourselves.” It is within our own mindset that we choose to be happy or not. The idea of a person’s situation and circumstances that they are facing asks the question, is happiness really a choice?

Yes, it is.

One theory in psychology research suggests that everyone has a happiness “set-point,” according to The Huffington Post. This suggests that there is a balance between positivity and negativity in everyone’s thoughts, and when good and bad things happen to us, there is always a counteracting event to bring equilibrium. However, this starting place where we find balance can be reset by our own standards.

Meagan Silverberg, the G-P LST social worker, believes that sometimes people need help in order to find happiness: “It depends on the person,” she said, “especially with mental health issues such as clinical depression and anxiety that can factor into somebody’s happiness. Those issues aside, there is a choice in moving forward in situations in which you can choose to be optimistic or pessimistic. The lens that we look out of to the world can create a positive energy and create happiness, and sometimes we need to practice that. Some people just have that, and others need more help in doing that.”

Being happy about who you are is the most important thing. Everybody is different, and people change. Some people enjoy walking around and pleasing others by looking a certain way or saying certain things in order to fill some ideal self-image that they have. Individuality is important because no two people are exactly alike. Pretending to be somebody that you aren’t is a waste of everyone’s time, yours especially. People who know who they are tend to be the happiest because they aren’t trying to mold themselves into somebody they aren’t.

Bad things happen. There are circumstances beyond our reach that we are not in charge of. Things like family, living situation, and location are sometimes things that we are not in charge of until we are adults. Teenagers, especially, aspire to find their passions and follow their dreams, wherever they may take them. People need these things in order to strive for a better future. Without the positive outlook and attitude that we need to achieve these things, they, too, could be out of reach.

When I asked students at LHS what words they would associate happiness with, I found that most of the words, such as “kindness,” “friendship,” and “comfort” are all associated with spreading happiness. To show somebody kindness, to be their friend, to comfort them. They’re all acts that depend on you giving to others, sharing the happiness.

Happiness shouldn’t come from material things; it should come from experiences that you share with others. Things like sports you play in high school, groups you’re a part of in college, getting married, and having children all involve connecting with other people.

Around 40 percent of our happiness can be controlled by us, according to ABC Health. Happiness lies in what we tell ourselves about certain situations and how we perceive things. While there are things around us that we cannot control, it’s how we let those things affect us that determines how happy we are.

Walking around with a negative view on life is not the way to go. People can be cruel, things don’t always work out, and sometimes we make mistakes. Life wasn’t meant to be perfect. It’s meant to teach us lessons and be full of experiences that make us happy.

According to studies, Denmark is that happiness country in the world. Research says that this is because Danes have low expectations for life. In other words, they don’t have an “ideal self” that they strive to embody; instead, they pay attention to their joy in the present which, in turn, creates the lives that they make for themselves over time.

People look for quick ways to figure out how to be happy. Googling “How To Be Happy” will bring up a multitude of suggested practices to incorporate into your everyday life to make a difference. The difference starts with you and your thoughts. Telling yourself that you’re important and have a purpose is the first step to accomplishing your goals. A negative attitude never got anyone to their dreams.

Research says that sleeping more will leave you less sensitive to negative emotions that may come your way. Spending more time surrounded by people who give you positive thoughts and emotions is an easy way to boost happiness. Above all, training your mind to see the good in everything is something that some of the happiest people will tell you is extremely effective.

Junior Olivia Richardson believes that happiness is attainable for everyone. “Being happy is just simply enjoying life and loving what you do,” she said. “To be happy, you need to surround yourself with the people and things that will make you happy.”

Richardson explained that there are personal choices that are the key to personal happiness. “Positive people and a positive outlook are some of the big things, and if you want to be happy, then you should let yourself be happy. It’s really the most important thing to have, happiness.”

Happiness comes by choice, not chance. Keeping a positive and uplifting attitude is what keeps you happy. Appreciating life and what you have is all you can do, because it’s too short to waste away on negativity and worries. If you’re unhappy, do something about it. You should do it for yourself because your happiness is the most important thing. Surround yourself with good people, gain experiences, and take care of yourself. Happiness is your personal choice to make.