Girls soccer crushes Lake Forest in second conference game

How is the Hallway Music Chosen?

Lola Akinlade
Freshman students Madeline Bartusch and Aaron Chen are seen walking in the hallways, similarly to how students would walk before hearing the music start playing in the halls.

Every LHS student has experienced the sudden fear of hearing the music start playing in the hallway, reminding them that there is only a minute to get to class. However, occasionally there is another moment when they realize that the song that is playing is something they listen to. How does LHS decide what music to blare in the hallways?

“Songs are chosen a number of ways.  Sometimes events around the building dictate what we play, so for example, if there is a school dance, or musical with a specific theme, the folks in my office, along with suggestions from students and staff, choose music that would reflect that theme.  For writers week, as an example, we had songs about books, poems, etc.,” Assistant Principal Mr. Eric Maroscher explained.

In an informal survey, 8 out of 10 LHS students report to hearing a song that they’ve listened to before play in the hallways.

“I know some of the songs that are played in the hallway,” freshman Annalisa McAyeal stated.

Although LHS hallway music is played every day, it often differs from the popular genres heard on the radio.

“The music is a little on the eclectic side and less on the popular music side, and this is on purpose.  We want to offer something a little different than what is on terrestrial radio, or is commonly downloaded.  So, there is nothing wrong with Katy Perry, but there is a whole lot right about Thelonious Monk,” Mr. Maroscher stated.

Many students are unaware that they are able to suggest songs to play in the hallways.

“No, I didn’t know that students could suggest music,” freshman Madeline Bartusch stated.

There is a Facebook page called LHS Hall Music, where students can suggest songs to play in the hallways.

“That Facebook page is the vehicle for students to comment or message musical requests. Also, this year we put information on all of the screens at LHS and in the daily bulletin about this Facebook page. You can never have enough suggestions,” Mr. Maroscher said.

Even so, quite often songs played every day in the hallway are songs that may be unfamiliar to students.

“Sometimes I hear songs that I listen to, not too much though,”  Bartusch expressed.

This is partially due to the fact that students aren’t the only people who suggest music. Staff and people who work in the main office help with that process as well. However, not every song that is suggested gets to be played in the hallways.

“Sometimes we get a request for a great song musically, but the lyrics and or content is not appropriate for a school so that, unfortunately, eliminates some popular music,” Mr. Maroscher explained.

Overall, many students agree that the fact that music is played to inform students that there is one minute to get to class is essential in order to prevent them from being late.

“I like the idea of hallway music being played to let us know how much time we have. It’s helpful, no matter what the song is, ” McAyeal stated.