Hands Can Talk Too

The Deaf Culture Club (DCC) was started by Ethan Urbanski, a junior with a hearing impairment. The club will be supervised by Ms. Liz Rose, who works with deaf and hearing-impaired students at LHS. The club’s first meeting was Monday, Dec. 8 after school. The club will teach students sign language and about the deaf community.

“Deaf Culture is sign language, what it’s like to have hearing loss and the technology that’s used,” Urbanski commented.

He hopes to create awareness and acceptance through the DCC; each meeting will talk about the traditions, languages, technology and other aspects of deaf culture. Since many members are interested in learning sign language, it was discussed during the first meeting.

“A lot of it has to do with different traditions and customs that people follow…for example, there’s a lot of rules that apply for sign language,” Urbanski said.

DCC will have meetings twice a month on Mondays. They don’t have a permanent location as of now; they used room 2109 for their first meeting and are considering using it as a permanent location. Urbanski hopes to have field trips out of school to give members more exposure to deaf culture, but the club has not made anything official yet.