Boys lacrosse bests Wheaton North with 12-3 victory

Top Five Christmas Albums and Movies

Below are the top five ranked movies and albums chosen not only based on success, but on how they have contributed to the holiday season: making the holidays an exciting and cheerful time rather than making people more overwhelmed and stressed than they already were. The items have been carefully chosen based on professional reviews, meaning where they have placed on the Billboard 200 and also from reviews from magazines and websites. They may not be the most modern but they are considered the best of all time.

Albums

• “Merry Christmas” Mariah Carey 1994

url (3)

This oldie-but-goodie may have been released 20 years ago, but you can’t go wrong with an album that includes the worldwide single “All I Want for Christmas is You.” The pop sensation was at her peak when this album came out, which accounts for why this album was sought for around the globe. So hunker down with some hot cocoa and take it back to the good old days with this classic.

•  “Christmas” Michael Bublé 2011

286322_10150260736029157_9053564156_7621742_1110732_o

This album had risen to number one on the Billboard 200 album sales chart as well as winning countless awards. The reason for success is because of his jazzy spin on traditionally pop songs, such as “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” and “White Christmas,” which featured Bing Crosby.

• “On This Winter’s Night” Lady Antebellum 2012On-This-Winters-Night

The reason this album is so well-made is because of the country band’s use of different styles of sounds to make it more modern. For example, the album blares with horns in “Blue Christmas” and slows back down to a soulful crawl in “All I Want for Christmas is You.”

• “Wrapped in Red” Kelly Clarkson 2013

rs_600x600-131203121452-600-kelly-clarkson-wrapped-in-red.ls.12313_copy

This album not only has 11 covers, but also five original songs, allowing for a wide variety of music. The pop/rock-sounding singer departed from her usual sound by combining the sounds of pop, jazz, country, and soul all wrapped up in one album. Some of the hit songs include “Underneath the Tree” and “Wrapped in Red.”

• “Cheers, It’s Christmas” Blake Shelton 2012Cheers-Its-Christmas

The album has reappeared again and again on the Billboard 200 and it’s no doubt that it’s a success featuring singers like Miranda Lambert, Bublé, and Clarkson. Shelton too strays from his cozy country sound to classic Christmas celebration with upbeat duets.

Movies

• A Christmas Story 1983

imgres

In this holiday classic, Ralphie decides that he absolutely has to own the Red Ryder B.B. gun for Christmas. After finally receiving the much-anticipated gift from Santa, he goes outside to try it out despite hearing from several sources that he’ll “shoot his eye out,” and the rest is history.

• It’s A Wonderful Life 194617960

On Christmas Eve, George Bailey commits suicide after giving up his dreams in order to help others and this prompts the intervention of his guardian angel. This angel shows George all the lives he had touched and how different life would be if he was never born. Bring your tissues, this touching film may bring tears to your eyes!

• Elf  2003

elf-movie-poster (2)

It’s almost impossible to miss this movie while flipping through channels before Christmas because of how popular it has grown. Buddy the Elf discovers that he is actually a human and decides to make the journey all the way from the North Pole to New York City to find his biological father and spread Christmas cheer everywhere he goes.

• The Polar Express 2004 imgres (2)

This animated film will definitely satisfy your imaginative side with its colorful portrayal of the North Pole and the oh-so-popular “Hot Chocolate” song danced to by waiters on the train. The story follows a young boy on his adventure to Santa’s workshop and his discovery that Santa is indeed real.

• Home Alone 1990 

imgres (3)

With many more movies to follow, the first in this series does not fail to capture your attention. A family plans to fly to France for Christmas and their 8-year-old boy is left at home. Having to deal with idiotic burglars and a house to himself, Kevin takes the situation to his advantage by enjoying his newly received freedom.