Spot the difference!
LHS in Europe

One Tree Ville

Alex Zoellick

Temperatures Drop, Spirits Rise

The seasonal transitions in the Chicagoland area can be harsh. Hot and sticky summer days turn into cool breezes and vibrant colors. As November ends, the leaves fall and so do the temperatures; the only difference is that the temperatures don’t stop dropping once they hit the pavement. Cool turns to cold, breezes turn to gusts and nippy turns to bitter.

The bare trees can often make the area feel lifeless; however, one tree brings life to the barren town. Each year, one tree in Cook Park brightens the spirits of the town. This special tree is lit one day after Thanksgiving, a date that has withstood the test of time and weather.

“We go on rain, shine or snow,” said Mr. Connie Kowal, the Director of Recreation and Sports Complex for the Village of Libertyville. “The show always goes on, it is almost Norman Rockwell-like.” (Rockwell was a famous twentieth-century artist who is famous for his portrayal of the great American traditions.)

The tree lighting is Libertyville’s welcome to the holiday season every year. Put on by the Parks and Recreation Department, it is a family-friendly way to bring the town together every year where Santa Claus rides into the park on a fire truck, counts down from 10, and lights the tree. All the while, children are singing carols, people are taking pictures in the sleigh, and everyone is having a good time.

“I absolutely feel a connection with the town since people with various backgrounds and of all ages are coming together for the same celebration,” said senior Gretta Ebert, who attends the ceremony every year.

Once the tree is lit, people take pictures with the tree, kids take pictures with Santa, and everyone has the option of taking a tour of the Cook Building, the former City Hall of Libertyville. Not to mention, everyone can virtually walk into the life-size nativity scene and relive what they are celebrating. Each person has their own favorite part of the ceremony.

“My favorite part of tree lighting is being able to see everyone together enjoying the holidays! It’s so exciting and fulfilling to see our town looking so beautiful,” said Ebert.

In order to accommodate for different holiday celebrations, requests were sent to Village Hall to add a Menorah for the Jewish population of the town, according to Kowal. It was added within the past four years.

The ceremony itself hasn’t seen very many changes in years past. According to Kowal, the Parks and Recreational District found a winning formula years ago and have stuck with it ever since. Before Santa rode in on a firetruck, he would appear in a window of the Cook Building and walk down to the front entrance. The ceremony has been going on for the last three decades, according to Kowal, who recalls going to the ceremonies when he first moved to Libertyville, though he does not know the exact date it started.

One thing is for sure: people love the tree lighting and they all have different reasons for coming back every year.

“I go back every year since I love the holidays and being able to stand alongside people who also enjoy the Christmas season as much as me and it brings me way too much joy!” added Ebert.

Taking Main Street

Because of the sheer number of attendees, the night of the tree lighting is often a popular night for the businesses of Main Street Libertyville. According to Kowal, when the park is filled to capacity, there can be a couple thousand people at the ceremony. Many people will dine at popular restaurants like Trattoria Pomigliano or 545 North. Starbucks and Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory see a hot chocolate sales boost as people accommodate for the chilly weather.  Many customers will also take advantage of the promotions and sales in retail shops.

“Business is booming on the night of the tree lighting!” Libertyville Starbucks manager Dan Gibbs said.

Being one of the biggest sales nights of the year, lines are out Starbucks’ door for the hours of the tree lighting. With new holiday beverages being offered, kids from one to 92 gather in the warm shelter of Starbucks to share their holiday cheer. Open until 8 p.m., Starbucks will be supplying the town of Libertyville with bursts of peppermint and warm hot cocoa.

Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, another popular destination for visitors, stays open until the last customer is served. With special offers like spiced apple cider and chocolate Christmas tree pretzels, business is very good on the magical night of the tree lighting.

“As a business owner, it is one of my favorite nights of the year because of all the families coming together and enjoying our chocolate,” said Pam Lockowitz, manager of Rocky Mountain.

Keeping the Tradition Alive

The popularity of the tree lighting spans from families to kids and their friends. A group of LHS seniors, including Maddy Licocci and Ebert, has been going to the tree lighting together every year since fifth grade. According to Licocci, the group got together to celebrate a friend’s birthday and they have been going ever since.

“A big group of people starting going and it became a tradition to see Santa Claus, even though we knew he wasn’t real,” said Licocci. “We always go to Starbucks, the line was always out the door; it was so worth waiting for.”

The tree lighting’s ability to bring people together can also be applied to smaller groups of people, in addition to  the town as a whole. Often times it is hard for students to find time in their busy schedules to spend time with their friends. Between jobs, homework, sports and everything else that applies to the cliché saying, it is difficult for a whole group of friends to get together. That’s where the tree lighting steps in.

“All my friends go and we all want to be there and we all make the best of it,” said Licocci. “It makes you feel like a little kid again.”

Since the group is made up of seniors and it has very little time left in high school, the students in it are trying to make the most of their traditions.

“Once you start something, it is nice to keep it going,” said Licocci. “Now that we are seniors, it is our last time to do this as high schoolers. Next year, when we are in college, who knows if we will all be able to go.”

Ebert is hopeful that the group’s tradition will continue past high school: “I go back every year because of my friends! It’s something we’ve always done and hopefully will continue to do, plus we always get Starbucks, which is reason enough to go back every year.”