BREAKING NEWS: Students gather to address Israel-Palestine conflict in walkout

The Westfield Hawthorn Mall Makeover

Rick Kambic/Sun-Times Media
Construction of the AMC Theatre at Westfield Hawthorn Mall

Westfield Hawthorn Mall located in Vernon Hills has set out on a $50 million redevelopment plan scheduled to be complete in spring 2015.

Adding an additional 110,000 square feet of retail space, the goal is to provide guests with the finest in shopping, entertainment, and dining.

The plan is focused around renovating the 4 main entrances with new signs and includes the addition of a new mall entrance, a new play area for kids, and several new restaurants and shops.

Smashburger, Charley’s Grilled Subs, Krazy Good Crepes, and Dry Goods are just some of the new restaurants and shops at the mall.

The expansion started with the opening of Dave and Buster’s arcade on March 26, Maggiano’s Little Italy on July 21, and continued with the opening of the new family-friendly dining court on October 3. The biggest expansion and centerpiece of the project is the new state-of-the-art AMC Theatre.

Once completed, the theater will have 12 screens and 1,200 total seats, including electric recliner chairs, and an expanded concessions stand said to provide a variety of foods besides the traditional popcorn and candy. There will be six new restaurants located directly underneath the theater that offer patio dining during warmer weather as well.

Many visitors are anxiously waiting for the renovations to be complete. Mallory Leiser, a former Hawthorn Mall employee, confirms this from her own experience.

“I remember when I still worked at the candy store there (at the mall). I had people coming up all the time asking about when the theatre would open and they were so disappointed that the opening date was so far away. I can definitely see that everyone is excited,” said Leiser.

The expansion’s emphasis on entertainment-rather than retail-reflects the new realities of the shopping industry. People these days come to the mall not only for shopping, but also for a fun experience.

Mike Golden, the mall’s general manager, said that previous plans have since evolved, with the changing economic conditions and customer demands.

“We feel the current redevelopment plan better utilizes existing space while introducing new retail, restaurant, and entertainment uses our customers want,” Golden stated.

The mall has become more of a social place for customers to spend time and hang out. Now, when visitors come to the mall, they aren’t just looking for a specific shirt or a new pair of shoes, they’re looking to find a place to eat, talk, or sit; everything that Hawthorn Mall is hoping to offer with this makeover.