2014-15 NBA Preview

Photo courtesy of the NBA Facebook Page
LeBron James’ highly anticipated return to Cleveland is just one of many intriguing storylines for this season.

With the 2014-15 season just tipping off, let’s take a look at all 30 NBA teams and their recent acquisitions from worst to first.

30. Philadelphia 76ers

The Sixers are entering the second year of their Tank-a-Thon. They basically publicly admitted that they’re losing games to get a higher draft pick, which has caused some serious controversy. Regardless, there’s no question that they’ll be the worst team in the NBA this season.

Key Additions:  Joel Embiid, Nerlens Noel (injury)  Key Losses: Evan Turner

29. Milwaukee Bucks

Milwaukee made a big splash in the draft when they selected the Chicago native forward Jabari Parker with the 2nd overall pick, and the Greek Freak (Giannis Antetokounmpo) is an intriguing prospect, but this will be another difficult year for Bucks fans.

Key Additions:  Jabari Parker, Jason Kidd (coach)    Key Losses: Larry Drew (coach)

28. Boston Celtics

This season will be about one man and one man only: Rajon Rondo. It’s his turn to enter the in-season drama that players like Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard have experienced before. It’s very likely that he’s traded before the deadline. This roster lacks talent overall but the Celtics keep stockpiling draft picks.

Key Additions:  Marcus Smart, Evan Turner   Key Losses: Kris Humphries

27. Orlando Magic

The Orlando Magic are a team that’s on the rise and has some good young talent in Victor Oladipo, Elfrid Payton, and Aaron Gordon, but there will be a lot of growing pains this season. Even in a weak Eastern Conference, they probably won’t make the playoffs.

Key Additions:  Aaron Gordon, Channing Frye   Key Losses: Arron Afflalo

26. Utah Jazz

The Jazz made a big move when they decided to re-sign Gordon Hayward to a four-year, $63 million deal. Quin Snyder was an underrated coaching acquisition, but this team is just too young and inexperienced to compete in a tough Western Conference.

Key Additions:  Dante Exum, Rodney Hood   Key Losses: None

25. Minnesota Timberwolves

The Timberwolves made perhaps the biggest move of the summer when they traded Kevin Love to the new-look Cavaliers for the 1st overall pick in Andrew Wiggins. This will be an athletic, exciting team, but they won’t win very many games due to their lack of experience.

Key Additions:  Andrew Wiggins, Thaddeus Young   Key Losses: Kevin Love

24. Detroit Pistons

The Pistons recently acquired Stan Van Gundy to be their team president/coach, and he’s begun to construct the team in his vision. The only problem: this roster is full of bad contracts and players who throw up brick after brick.

Key Additions: Jodie Meeks   Key Losses: None

23. Los Angeles Lakers

What a year this will be for the Los Angeles Lakers. After their worst season in franchise history, the Lakers look to compete in the West with a roster full of poor defenders and interesting characters. But hey, they got Kobe back.

Key Additions:  Kobe Bryant (injury), Julius Randle   Key Losses: Pau Gasol

22. Sacramento Kings

The Kings have new ownership, a new court, new uniforms and a new stadium coming soon, but this appears to be the same, old management that screwed up the team’s fortunes these past couple of years. Failing to re-sign Isaiah Thomas was a mistake.

Key Additions: Nik Stauskas, Darren Collison   Key Losses: Isaiah Thomas

21. Indiana Pacers

Poor Indiana. With LeBron’s departure to Cleveland and a power struggle at the top of the Eastern Conference, the Pacers looked poised to compete for a championship. However, Paul George’s devastating injury not only puts an end to those dreams but possibly even a playoff spot.

Key Additions: Rodney Stuckey  Key Losses: Paul George (injury), Lance Stephenson

20. Brooklyn Nets

The Nets lost Paul Pierce to the Wizards — along with $186 million in luxury tax penalties — but this may be one of the most underrated teams in the league. They get Brook Lopez back, along with the cold-blooded killer Joe Johnson, and a veteran coach in Lionel Hollins.

Key Additions:  Brook Lopez (injury), Lionel Hollins (coach)   Key Losses: Paul Pierce

19. New York Knicks

The Knicks threw a lot of money in a desperate attempt to keep Carmelo Anthony … and it worked! With his star under contract, Phil Jackson will look to keep building the team while competing out East with a roster full of defensive liabilities and players with egos as large as their salaries.

Key Additions:  Hired Phil Jackson, re-signed Carmelo Anthony   Key Losses: None

18. New Orleans Pelicans

The Pelicans are a team on the rise and that’s because of one reason: Anthony Davis. “The Unibrow” is coming off of an amazing FIBA campaign, where he proved that he could be in for an MVP-type season very soon. If they stay healthy, the Pelicans could sneak into the playoffs.

Key Additions:  Omer Asik     Key Losses:  Anthony Morrow

17. Denver Nuggets

The Nuggets were a team plagued by the injury bug in 2013-14, but it looks like just about everyone is healthy now. This may be one of the deepest squads in the league next to the Spurs and Bulls, and they could play spoiler to teams competing out West.

Key Additions:  Arron Afflalo, Danilo Gallinari (injury)   Key Losses: None

16. Atlanta Hawks

After a controversial offseason, the Hawks can finally relax and focus on the court, where they’ve began to construct a Spurs-ian type team dependant on ball movement and team-oriented play. Al Horford’s return will help this team a bunch.

Key Additions:  Al Horford (injury)    Key Losses: None

15. Miami Heat

The Heat lost some player named LeBron James … but they were able to keep the other 2 members of the Big 3. With LBJ’s spot being filled by Luol Deng, the Heat will head into the next season with a chip on their shoulder for the first time in a while.

Key Additions:  Luol Deng, re-signed Chris Bosh & Dwyane Wade   Key Losses: LeBron James

14. Phoenix Suns

The Phoenix Suns were oh-so-close to making the playoffs last season, but came up just short. It’ll be interesting to see if they can continue upon their success in a stacked Western Conference after many people thought this team was still rebuilding a year before.

Key Additions:  Isaiah Thomas, re-signed Eric Bledsoe   Key Losses: None

13. Portland Trail Blazers

The Blazers surprised a lot a people last season when they made it past the first round. Portland has an exciting duo in Damian Lillard and LaMarcus Aldridge, but it has yet to be seen if this team can avoid regressing after an overachieving 2013-14 campaign.

Key Additions:  None    Key Losses: None

12. Charlotte Hornets

New logo, new team, new swagger. No longer are the lowly Bobcats an organization in the NBA. This team has a different vibe to it, along with some new faces, like the Pacers’ old triple double machine Lance Stephenson.

Key Additions:  Stephenson, Marvin Williams    Key Losses:  Josh McRoberts

11. Houston Rockets

The Rockets made a huge gamble this summer when they tried to get Chris Bosh AND Chandler Parsons, but it fell through. The moves totally backfired, but another year of experience for James Harden and Dwight Howard might prevent them from falling too far.

Key Additions:  Trevor Ariza   Key Losses: Chandler Parsons, Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik

10.  Memphis Grizzlies

Another year, another uneventful summer for the Memphis Grizzlies. Grit and grind, as they would say. After giving the Thunder trouble in the first round of the playoffs last year, the Grizzlies hope to build on their success with a healthier team.

Key Additions:  Vince Carter    Key Losses:  None

9. Toronto Raptors

The Raptors had maybe the most unexpected turnaround last season after trading Rudy Gay to the Kings, but this team is here to stay. They kept all of their key components from last season on board, and look to keep the #WeTheNorth campaign rolling.

Key Additions:  Re-signed Kyle Lowry   Key Losses:  None

8. Washington Wizards

The Wizards are an exciting young team with two elite guards in John Wall and Bradley Beal who will look to try to turn the league on its heads. The gap at the top of the conference might mean a Finals appearance for this squad.

Key Additions:  Paul Pierce   Key Losses:  Trevor Ariza

7. Oklahoma City Thunder

The Thunder will be without the reigning MVP for quite some time, who’s sidelined with a foot injury. However, this team is stacked at almost every position and has two legitimate MVP candidates in Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. With KD’s impending free agency in 2016, you have to wonder if the Thunder are desperate to win a championship within these next two years …

Key Additions:  Anthony Morrow    Key Losses: Kevin Durant (injury)

6. Dallas Mavericks

The Mavericks committed an absolute theft when they stole Chandler Parsons away from their in-state rivals the Houston Rockets for nothing. After trading back for 2011 championship hero Tyson Chandler, the Mavs are threatening.

Key Additions:  Tyson Chandler, Chandler Parsons   Key Losses:  Jose Calderon

5. Golden State Warriors

The Warriors were upset with Mark Jackson’s coaching … so they forced him out and brought Steve Kerr into the mix. In a new offense with actual ball movement, the Warriors could be a team to watch out for in 2014-15.

Key Additions:  Steve Kerr (coach), Shaun Livingston   Key Losses:  Mark Jackson (coach)

4. Cleveland Cavaliers

In THE biggest story of the summer, LeBron James decided to return home to Cleveland. The Cavs quickly turned Andrew Wiggins into star power forward Kevin Love. The new Big 3, along with point guard Kyrie Irving, looks to bring Cleveland their first championship in franchise history.

Key Additions:  LeBron James, Kevin Love    Key Losses:  Andrew Wiggins

3. Chicago Bulls

After another heart-breaking campaign, Derrick Rose is back (again). However, the Bulls management has surrounded him with perhaps his best supporting cast ever, and Chicago could look to capitalize on the recent shakeups in the East with their first ring since MJ.

Key Additions:  Derrick Rose (injury), Pau Gasol   Key Losses:  D.J. Augustin

2. Los Angeles Clippers

Donald Sterling is finally out … and Steve Ballmer is in. With the new ownership comes a new energy and spirit around the organization, which can now focus on basketball. This star-studded roster could be the next team to rise on top and raise their first championship banner.

Key Additions:  Spencer Hawes   Key Losses:  None

1. San Antonio Spurs

After coming literally seconds away from a championship the year before, the Spurs responded in a big way by beating the Heat in 5 games … in dominating fashion. Here’s the catch — the Spurs kept almost everybody from last year and will be competing for another ring in what promises to be an amazing 2014-15 season.

Key Additions:  Championship #5     Key Losses:  None

Predictions

MVP LeBron James With LeBron’s return to Cleveland, the two-time NBA champion could help the Cavs become a 60-win team after a 33-win just a season before, which would likely get him his 5th MVP award.
Rookie of the Year Jabari Parker The Bucks selected Duke star Jabari Parker with the 2nd pick of the draft, and he’ll get a chance to put up some monster numbers on a team that lacks a primary scoring option.
Defensive Player of the Year Anthony Davis Last year, Anthony Davis lead the NBA in blocks, but Joakim Noah beat him out for the award. This year, voters may look to reward Davis’ efforts with a regular season award of his own.
Sixth Man of the Year Isaiah Thomas Isaiah Thomas scored over 20 points per game with his old team, the Sacramento Kings, but now that he’s a backup on the Phoenix Suns, he should be the early front-runner to run away with this award.
Most Improved Player of the Year Lance Stephenson Lance Stephenson moved from the Indiana Pacers to the new-look Charlotte Hornets this offseason in an attempt to be the team’s primary option. If Lance lives up to his potential, he could become the next star shooting guard in this league.
Coach of the Year Doc Rivers With the ownership crisis resolved and a positive feeling around the team, Doc Rivers hopes to lead his Clippers to the best record out West. If they beat out the Spurs and Thunder for the 1st seed, Rivers should receive his second Coach of the Year honor.
NBA Finals Chicago Bulls over Los Angeles Clippers Derrick Rose’s return and the Miami Big 3’s breakup could see the Bulls first finals appearance since MJ. The Clippers could find their way to the Finals with an MVP caliber season from Blake Griffin. An experienced (but healthy) core in Chicago would give the Bulls a lift over the Clippers and their 7th championship.