Boys lacrosse bests Wheaton North with 12-3 victory

Ultimate Frisbee Club Makes Debut at LHS

Note: A picture that was included with this story when it was originally posted has been removed.

In its inaugural year at LHS, the Ultimate Frisbee Club is becoming a more popular activity every week.

The club, founded this year by senior Brett Towle, features weekly Ultimate Frisbee games at Nicholas Dowden park. Towle sees the club as a fresh new alternative to the heavy commitment of playing traditional LHS sports.

“A lot of kids don’t have time to be spending three hours at practice every day after school. One, maybe two, days a week of playing Ultimate is great exercise, it’s (not) something that’s going to stress you out,” he said.

Junior Matt Friello, a weekly attendee at the Ultimate Frisbee games, agrees that the game is both a fun way to spend afternoons and a taxing workout at the same time.

“It’s a really fun way to do physical activity,” he explained.

Ultimate, a game often played during LHS gym classes with a softball, consists of two teams with seven players each, although Towle maintains that there are usually 11 players on each team due to rising participation numbers. The object of the game is to score a touchdown — which occurs when a player holds possession of the frisbee in the designated end zone. Players pass the frisbee to one another, but aren’t allowed to run with the frisbee in their hands.

Towle is excited to see the interest in the new club continue to grow: He attributes the increased participation to “self-advertising” as much as anything else.

Towle’s efforts have paid off, as the members of the club are starting to form a sense of camaraderie with one another. When asked about his favorite part about the club, Friello didn’t even hesitate.

“Having a bunch of guys that really like to play Ultimate like I do. Just having those guys to relate to, in that sense,” he answered.

Towle agreed that a certain chemistry has developed between all of the frequent participants in the club. He was complimentary in both their social and Ultimate skills.

“They’re all really cool kids, a lot of kids I’ve never talked to,” he said. “And they’re all really good at Ultimate, too.”

The whole Ultimate Frisbee club is always looking for new members to join the pack, even if they’ve never played Ultimate before. The days are numbered until snow puts a huge dent in the club’s Ultimate desires. But Towle already has ideas in mind.

“We’re thinking about snow pants-ing it up and just having these wild snow games. Which would be so tiring but so fun,” he said.