The New iFly Facilities Open in the Chicagoland Area

Jordan Bach learns how to indoor skydive for the first time.
Courtesy of Jordan Bach

A new indoor skydiving company, iFly, has opened its doors in Naperville and Rosemont, creating a simulated skydiving experience for participants.

iFly is very similar to skydiving but takes place indoors and without having to jump out of an airplane. With a virtual wind tunnel and four fans, iFly sends the flyer into wind speeds of 100 to 200 miles per hour according to the iFly website.

This high-flying fun is for all ages, and no experience is needed.

“There were a ton of little kids and older parents there so you could totally see that it was fun for any age and anyone could do it,” said sophomore Kersten Draths, a recent iFly participant.

In order to fly, the participant  must book a flight and attend a quick training session on how to fly. Each flight cost around $70 for a basic package.

After a quick wardrobe change into your flight gear, you’re ready to fly. iFly provides each flyer with a basic jump suit, helmet, goggles, and ear plugs.

To start your flight, you stand in the doorway of the flight chamber and lean into the wind. Then, with the help from your instructor, you begin to fly.

“I felt 100% safe; the instructor always made sure I was okay with what I was doing,” said Draths.

Each flight takes around 60 seconds and about two turns in the wind tunnel, depending on the package. An average outdoor skydiving jump lasts anywhere between 20 and 60 seconds of free fall, according to Gold Coast Skydivers .

“It wasn’t scary, but I was anxious to get in there because I didn’t know what it would feel like or how easy it would be,” said junior Jordan Bach, who went with his friends for his birthday.

Many people go to iFly for birthday parties, business events, and field trips.

“It was really fun! I definitely want to go back again. I would like to take all my friends that I couldn’t take the first time,” said Bach.

Every time you go to iFly and learn a basic skill, you get a certificate. The more times you go, the more certificates you receive, allowing you to try more advanced tricks.

Those who just can’t get enough adrenaline from a regular flight can compete in the relatively new sport called bodyflight. Bodyflight resembles competitive skydiving such as freestyle skydiving and formation skydiving. These acrobatic maneuvers are performed during free fall and filmed. Instructors at iFly can help get you to the next level if considering bodyflight.