N.Y. School’s Strict New Dress Code Causes 200 Detentions and a Rebellion

On Sept. 5, Tottenville High School in Staten Island, New York, implemented a strict new dress code, which left students frustrated and ready for protest.

Some of the new regulations include “no hats, headbands, bandanas, hoods/hoodies, sunglasses; no tank tops; no low-cut blouses, tube/ halter tops; no short-shorts, mini-skirts. All shorts/skirts must be at relaxed hand level; no super low riders; no muscle T-shirts; no visible undergarments, and no earplugs or headphones,” according to the school’s new policy.

Both male and female students at Tottenville claimed that the new dress code is sexist and biased toward young women. The controversy being debated is if students are taught that girls need to dress a certain way so they don’t distract boys, which ultimately furthers the idea that boys can’t control themselves — and that unwanted attention is sometimes justified because girls are asking for it with their short skirts and low-cut tops.

Dr. Marina Scott, principal of Libertyville High School, does not think that the code is sexist towards girls.

“I don’t agree that the code is sexist.  Women tend to have more clothing choices and sometimes, when it comes to a code, more things get limited,” explained Dr. Scott.

Protests were held at Tottenville during the first two weeks of school, where students defied the rules and wore whatever they wanted. This resulted in nearly 200 student detentions, 90 percent  of which were female.

According to The New York Post, the students were forced to serve detention after school, as well as wait in the auditorium for their parents to drop off “appropriate” clothing. If the parents were unable to provide alternate clothing, the students were required to wear an oversized gym T-shirt and shorts. This only angered the students more and led to further protesting.

Dr. Scott expressed how she would handle this situation if she were principal at Tottenville High School.

“I think the expectations and reasons for change in dress would need to be communicated.  Perhaps more focus on what is appropriate and not just what is inappropriate.  The next step would be finding a consistent way to address or reinforce it that was informative and not so punitive,” replied Dr. Scott.

Here at LHS, with the exception of hats, bandanas, and offensive clothing conveying inappropriate messages, students are free to wear whatever they please.

Senior Jesse Stanfel attended St. Joseph Elementary School before attending LHS and she discussed the difference between the schools’ standards for the dress code.

“I don’t see anything wrong with our dress code. Coming from a middle school that required uniforms everyday along with strict regulations on makeup and such, I love the fact that LHS allows me to express myself through what I wear to school,” Stanfel stated.

In regards to the protests at Tottenville and the actions of the students, Stanfel opposed to their methods and suggested an alternate way to solve the problem.

“I can see where the students are coming from and understand the motivation behind their actions, but I can’t say I agree with the method of approach they are taking towards the issue. You’ll never get what you want from a school administration by retaliating, or breaking their rules. The best way for a situation like this one to work in your favor is to approach the school’s administration with maturity and understanding,” she proposed.