Boys lacrosse bests Wheaton North with 12-3 victory

Watch Out!

The new Apple Watch.
apple.com/watch
The new Apple Watch.

Look out, Dick Tracy!  Apple recently unveiled, alongside the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, a new iPhone-compatible watch, which is due to come out early 2015.

The Apple Watch is, according to an employee, Jenny, at the Skokie Apple Store, expected to be one of the hottest-selling items since the introduction of the iPhone itself in 2007.  The employee requested to keep her last name confidential due to store policies.

The Apple Watch holds many of the same features found on current iPhones.  The biggest advantage is the watch does not have to be pulled out of your pocket to use and is designed to work on the iOS8 system, which is a total advantage, according to LHS junior Dolores Palmieri.

“It is a great new innovative design!  I love how the iOS will be incorporated so that I won’t have to spend the time grabbing my phone out of my backpack just to send a quick text,” she said.

The Apple Watch is designed as a singular product that activates by raising the wrist.  The personal design of the watch comes with a wide variety of exchangeable bands to purchase along with the wearer’s ability to personalize the actual face of the watch.  The side digital crown zooms into and out of the apps without disrupting the display, while the side button below the crown lets the user utilize their contacts or share information with others.

Sensors within the watch will send small sensations to the skin to indicate a text has been recieved, a phone call is coming in, or pulse rate is detected, to name a few of the features.  The crystal of the watch is an actual sapphire screen, which, according to Apple, is the hardest material available next to a diamond.  The display screen, like the iPhone, is touch sensitive and will be manufactured to withstand force providing durability as well as access to the controls.

The price of the watch has not been set, according to the employee at the Skokie Apple Store.  Tech experts on various blogs have estimated the watch to range from $350 and up, depending on the style of the watch.

The watch is expected to come in three styles, according to theApple website.  The basic watch will have a polished case with alloy of stainless steel; the sport watch will have a sweat resistant sport band in a variety of colors; and for those fashion minded individuals, the Apple Watch Edition, the anticipated most expensive version of the watch, will have an 18-Carat gold encasement with a variety of both traditional as well as magnetic bands.  If size is a factor, the Apple Watch will come in two different sizes depending on individual preferences.

To learn more of  the capablities of this watch go to  www.apple.com/watch; there, Senior Vice President of Design Cory Iven shares a visual presentation of the Apple Watch.