Two Wild Games Ahead

Note: A picture that was included with this story when it was originally posted has been removed.

This will be year two of DOI projecting the MLB playoffs. Last year we started well, and then crashed and burned as the playoffs went on. Expect the rest of the projections to come in the days ahead.

American League Wild Card Game. On Tuesday, September 30, the matchup will be of two polar opposites for the right to play the number-one seeded Los Angeles Angels.

In one corner is the Oakland A’s, who had the best record in the MLB for much of the season up until the All-Star Break. After the break, the A’s were a completely different team, and they stumbled the whole second half and ultimately finished nine games below .500 after the break.

In the other corner is the Kansas City Royals, who went into the break only two games above .500, but really clicked as a team in the second half. The went 41-27 to surge into the playoff picture, and even stole home-field advantage from the Oakland A’s in this playoff game.

None of that will matter come Tuesday at the 7:07 start time, though. Each team has just one game to prove that they deserve to continue their season. The A’s will be putting forth one of their deadline acquisition pitchers, ace lefty Jon Lester. All he has done this year is have a 2.46 ERA, 2.35 with Oakland. The A’s have to like their chances with Lester sporting a 2.11 lifetime postseason ERA.

The A’s problem is that Lester could pitch 8 innings and give up one run, and they might lose. The Oakland offense has disappeared down the stretch this season, and trading away arguably their best player, Yoenis Cespedes (in the trade for Lester), made it that much worse. The A’s will be relying on their power hitters, Josh Donaldson and Brandon Moss, to push this offense to victory over Kansas City Royals ace James Shields.

“Big Game James,” as he is referred to, was the real deal in the 2008 playoffs, but since then has struggled mightily in his two postseason starts. Pitching is key in the playoffs, but especially for the Royals, who finished only 14th in runs scored in the MLB.

Overall, the A’s have been the ones stumbling, but all that is in the past now, as they throw the better pitcher and sport the better offense. Winner: Oakland

National League Wild Card Game. Wednesday, October 1 will be a glimpse of two of the best starting pitchers in baseball.

The San Francisco Giants will throw 25-year-old, and two-time World Series champion, Madison Bumgarner. A season 2.98 ERA looks good, but throw in the fact that he had a 2.22 ERA on the road this year along with averaging about 7 innings per start should ensure the Giants at least be in the game late.

The challenge will be whether the Giants offense can score for him. Sporting a marginal offense against Edinson Volquez, who has pitched just as well all year, with a 3.04 ERA to prove it is a bad recipe for success. Add in a Pirates offense that has been on an absolute tear over the past few weeks, and this Pittsburgh team will be hard to beat in front of their home crowd.

Between a 51-30 home record, a great offense led by one of the best hitters in the game (Andrew McCutchen) and a pitcher on a career year, the Pirates will get to move on to face the Washington Nationals. Winner: Pittsburgh Pirates