Boys lacrosse bests Wheaton North with 12-3 victory

Student Council Elections

Student Council plans to make changes that will benefit the student body for next year.
Valley College, San Bernardino

Recently, LHS had its 2014 Student Council Executive Board and Class Council Elections.

Juniors Shannon Roche, Joey Pucino, Jenny Pahng and Alex Yoor, as well as sophomores Cam Chen and Dolores Palmieri, were all elected to represent the Executive Board for LHS.

Since the elections, both the Student Council and Executive Board have strategically planned for some new changes to come within the following year. “One big change is that we are going to stress unity as a whole and want to get everyone feeling like they’re involved,” said Palmieri.

Palmieri, who is School Liaison for the Executive Board, has also presented some other changes that the Board hopes to make as a whole. “We will be changing our fundraising up a little, starting with homecoming and the canned food drive. We want to pull in a huge number of cans in order to be able to give back to the community we are so fortunate to live in,” said Palmieri.

As for the board itself, those who were elected seem to show a huge amount of potential and change for what is to come. With the mix of both juniors and sophomores, the Executive Board hopes to share ideas with each other and with others who are on the Class Councils.

The voting for both the Executive and Class Council was controlled by not only the student body but the Student Council advisors as well. Teachers within the classrooms are able to observe what potential candidates are able to bring to the council. This influences what types of leaders that not only the student body is looking for but for the teachers as well. Winners of the Senior Class Council are: Jordan Rule, Mark Boynton, Kelsey Julian, David Black, Jane Recker, Justin Fu, and Liz Polikoff. For the Junior Class Council: Emily Yates, Alyssa Seefeldt, Luke Whartnaby, Jordan Mitchell, and Karaline Black. And for the Sophomore Class Council: Daniel Oh, Michelle Nee, Zach Pearson, Alo Garcia, Hannah Brandt, and Rohan Kanianchalil. The Freshman Class Council has yet to be determined.

Student Council Advisors Andrea Lara and Rebecca Kinnee have also brought a new change to the system that has not been a part of Student Council before. Both of them have provided different ways in which the Class Councils and Executive Board can fundraise and broadcast throughout the community, such as switching up their fundraising efforts for school dances or changing the student announcements.

The Class Council and the Executive Board generally have the same positions but the Executive Board meets every day during eighth period and takes care of the issues that span over the entire school. The members from the Executive Board then sit in on Class Council meetings and share input with those on the Class Council. “Collaboration is so important because we want to all be on the same page so that we can all work to make the school year that much more enjoyable,” said Palmieri.