Silence Is Golden

Photo courtesy of MCT Campus
The Day of Silence is gaining popularity in cities all around the country.

Last Friday, students at LHS, and all around the country, actively showed their support for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) rights without saying a single word all day.

The National Day of Silence, a project organized by the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), was founded “to call attention to the anti-LGBT harassment and bullying in schools,” according to the Day of Silence website. After making its debut at the University of Virginia in 1996, the day has progressively gained more and more national attention. This year, over 8,000 schools participated in the Day of Silence.

Since Libertyville embraced the neo-holiday, it has gained significant traction; 36 LHS students took the vow to stay mute this year. In addition, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) co-sponsor and LHS social worker Mrs. Meagan Silverberg said that several students across the school remained silent without officially registering.

“I’ve noticed just more general awareness since our first year…a few years ago people were like ‘What, what is it?’, but now people get it and understand it,” said co-sponsor Mrs. Lindsay Recestar, also a social worker here at LHS.

Although GSA did not organize the event, the club is a fervent supporter of the cause and other pro-LGBT events throughout the year. Contrary to common perception, students do not have to be gay to engage in GSA or related activities.
“You can be an ally, you can have a sibling, parent, friend and just want to show support,” Mrs. Silverberg explained. “We just create a safe place for anyone that’s even questioning or concerned about someone.”

Many of this year’s Day of Silence participants are not members of the GSA. Junior Andrew Mudd, who is openly gay, relates personally to the message the day is trying to send.

“I remember being silent and fighting myself on whether to come out or not. The feeling is absolutely awful and (I) wish that other gay/lesbian/etc. people know that they do not need to be silent, and they are accepted for who they are,” he stated.

Students like Andrew are inching closer to seeing their hopes of nationwide legal LGBT marriages realized. Although only 17 states currently allow same-sex marriage, only one, Massachusetts, did ten years ago. The movement for legalized gay marriage is one of the most hotly debated subjects in politics, and a poll conducted by the Pew Research Center indicated that 54% of people support legalized same-sex marriage, a near 20% increase from the same poll conducted in 2009. Whether or not supporters of same-sex marriage are happy with the current status, it’s undeniable that the national support is on the rise.

In the meantime, LHS is happy with the turnout of Day of Silence and its increased popularity. Mrs. Silverberg and Mrs. Recsetar cite the support of the LHS staff as something that has allowed the Day of Silence to flourish.

“The teachers have been really supportive…it’s really nice to have that support here, a lot of schools don’t get that,” Silverberg said.

Staff members are setting a strong example for a new tradition of acceptance here at Libertyville, a tradition that will go a long way in the hearts of LGBT students. Mudd encourages anyone who may identify as LGBT to step out and be who they are.

“If you are having trouble with your sexual identity and are constantly in fear because of it, speak out. It all works out in the end and you don’t deserve to be afraid of who you are,” Mudd asserted.

The Day of Silence is one small step on a long path toward complete equality. But even though students at LHS may not speak on the Day of Silence, they’re making plenty of noise.