The Final 2024 LHS Production: Dancing at Lughnasa
Girls Lacrosse crank out an outstanding performance in a game against Lake Forest
Siblings on staff

Local MLB Teams Previews

Note: A picture that was included with this story when it was originally posted has been removed.

Chicago White Sox

The White Sox don’t have a stellar lineup filled with superstars. Instead, Chicago brings forth young talent with the hopes that they can grow and get them through this year. The addition of Jose Abreu, a 27 year-old Cuban superstar, should prove to be a great one, as Abreu was one of the most highly-touted international players in the last decade. The first basemen has been praised as a great power hitter with tremendous upside. However, the rest of the offense will struggle, as there are very few players that have the potential to make a major impact this year. The only other players that could be featured names are DH Adam Dunn and RF Avisail Garcia. Chris Sale will lead the rotation, and the southpaw will be the White Sox’s most valuable player for years to come. Sale takes the top spot over pitchers like John Danks, Jose Quintana, and Felipe Paulino. The White Sox will hope to make strides this year, potentially pushing at .500. However, the White Sox shouldn’t expect the playoffs this year. Instead, the White Sox should look for their young talent to make strides toward the future.

2014 Projection: 71-91 (No Playoffs)

Cleveland Indians

The Indians had a great year in 2013. Everything fell into place, and the pitching was premier. However, Cleveland is finding themselves in a difficult position this year. With the beginning of the season comes the loss of some talent. Cleveland loses starting pitchers Scott Kazmir and Ubaldo Jimenez, while also losing Chris Perez and Matt Albers in the bullpen. However, the Indians aren’t in a bad position by any means. They still have offensive potential with weapons like 1B Nick Swisher, DH Carlos Santana, and CF Michael Bourn. The bats will have to stay hot for them to make a serious run in October. Players like newly-acquired RF David Murphy and 3B Lonnie Chisenhall will have to step up when called on. The Indians were 5th in the MLB in runs scored last year. The fact is that the team can score, but the team isn’t filled with weapons. On the mound, they will be led by Justin Masterson, the dominant righty. If Masterson can find success, and the offense can stay hot, the Indians will be a fun team to watch. Unfortunately for them, the playoffs won’t happen this year.

2014 Projection 80-82 (No Playoffs)

Detroit Tigers

The Tigers are arguably the top team in baseball. They are the favorites to win the AL, and the 2nd favorite to win the World Series, according to Las Vegas oddsmakers. The team was dominant on offense last year, ranking in the top 2 in the MLB in every major offensive category, including runs and batting average. The Tigers are led by 2-time AL MVP Miguel Cabrera. The powerful righty will headline a lineup complete with offensive superstars including  OF Austin Jackson and newly-acquired 2B Ian Kinsler. The Tigers should keep up the efficiency on offense, but pitching is where the Tigers are especially scary. Leading the rotation is a duo of Cy Young winners. Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer bring forth a dominant rotation, with each of them boasting impressive seasons last year. The terrifying duo will be complemented by pitchers like Anibal Sanchez and Drew Smyly. With a rotation like this, and an offense that will surely be a dangerous one, the Tigers should be able to do some damage. The Tigers will find themselves playing deep into October, and a World Series ring is a strong possibility.

2014 Prediction: 94-68 (World Series)

Kansas City Royals

After years of losing, the Royals are finally starting to put the pieces together with a young, dominant core. Led by 1B Eric Hosmer and LF Alex Gordon, the Royals are finally starting to see some production from an offense that has been stagnant in years past. The addition of RF Norichika Aoki could prove to be a great one, as the lefty has been productive thus far in the MLB. With the big DH Billy Butler hitting after Hosmer, the Royals have that 3-4 power that most franchises envy. With the young core behind him, SP James Shields should be able to continue the success that has found him throughout his career. Shields, a 13-game winner last year, leads a rotation complete with Jeremy Guthrie and Jason Vargas. The Royals are a team that can win against anyone, but they can’t win consistently. For this reason, the Royals won’t find huge success this year. However, look for the team to make strides this year.

2014 Prediction: 83-79 (No Playoffs)

Minnesota Twins

The Twins are not a good team. It’s blatantly obvious that the Twins lack everything a good team needs. A good team needs a healthy superstar. While the Twins have Joe Mauer, it is not a safe bet to say that Mauer will remain healthy and elite throughout the year. Mauer has not been dealing with knee injuries, ever since undergoing surgery in 2011. Mauer will make the move from catcher to 1B to take pressure off of his knees.  A good team also has a batting order filled with players that are capable of big-time hits and clutch at-bats. The Twins have no one outside of maybe Joe Mauer that is expected to be a great hitter. 3B Trevor Plouffe and  LF Josh Willingham should be able to make some noise, but nothing that would warrant an All-Star game appearance. Finally, a good team has a bona fide ace, complimented with a rotation of at least 2 other solid pitchers. The Twins ace is Kevin Correia, and Correia would have to fight to even make the rotation on a playoff team. The rotation includes free agent signees Ricky Nolasco and Phil Hughes, and also filled with hints of a top pick in next year’s draft. The Twins are a bad team with low expectations. The only bright spot comes in the form of OF prodigy Byron Buxton. Buxton is expected to come in and make an immediate splash when called up. However, still expect to see this team fighting for last place in the AL.

2014 Predictions: 65-97 (No Playoffs)

St. Louis Cardinals – 2013 Record 97-65 (Lost in World Series)

The Cardinals have become a mainstay at the top of the NL Central. They have made the playoffs the last three seasons in a row and will be a favorite again this year. It is scary to think that a team with the best record in the National League last year might be better this year, but it is very possible. One trait that has killed past playoff teams is trying to do too much in the next offseason, but the Cardinals did a terrific job of doing little outside of improving an already great team. They return one of the best rotations in the MLB, with only one pitcher (Adam Wainwright) being older than 27 when the season kicks off. All five pitchers from last year are back, and each had a 2013 ERA under 4.00. The bullpen is solid, and second base is the only position on offense with a major question mark. 23-year-old, rookie, Kolten Wong will be at second base, but St. Louis has veteran Mark Ellis to back him up if things go awry. This team is not injury-proof, but they have great depth in place in the case of an injury.

2014 projection 99-63 (World Series)

Pittsburgh – 2013 Record 94-68 (Lost in NL Divisional Round)

The Pirates were bounced by their division rival Cardinals in the NLDS in the 2013 playoffs. 2013 was the first year since 1992 that the Pirates made the playoffs, but don’t look for it to be an annual event. Last year everything went right for Pittsburgh, especially in their bullpen, but that can not be expected for a second straight year. The Pirates return their elite rotation, minus veteran AJ Burnett, from last year, but even that can not be counted on for a second straight year. Wandy Rodriguez is now 35, and with a lifetime ERA over four, it is not likely that he will repeat the 3.59 from last year. 30-year-old Charlie Morton, who has a lifetime 4.70 ERA, but posted a 3.26 in 2013, is in a similar situation this year.. The offense is above average coming into the year, but all it will take is one injury to a key player, and the lack of depth on this roster will be exposed.

2014 projection 81-81 (Miss Playoffs)

Cincinnati Reds – 2013 Record 90-72 (Lost in Wild Card game)

The Reds have a much higher chance of repeating 2013 than the Pirates. Their whole starting rotation is in their mid 20s and none will have an ERA over 3.75 this year. Led by a true ace Johnny Cueto, with young hard throwers behind him, the Reds starters are poised for another lights out year. Add in a bullpen which will again feature the best closer in baseball, Aroldis Chapman, who will continue to fire at around 100 miles per hour consistantantly. There will be a close watch on the Reds offense because that is the potential flaw in this team. They lost their starting center fielder and top of the lineup hitter Shin Soo Choo to free agency, but return arguably the best hitter in the National League, Joey Votto. If they can make it to the playoffs, then their pitching could win them some playoff games. An X-factor for the season will be rookie, speedster Billy Hamilton who might be the fastest ballplayer in the game. He has struggled to hit, but when he is on base, he can not be stopped.

2014 projection 90-72 (Lose in National League Divisional Round)

Milwaukee Brewers – 2013 Record 74-88 (Missed Playoffs)

It all fell apart for the Brewers in 2013, and was capped off with their team leader and former MVP Ryan Braun being suspended (in violation for the league’s substance abuse policy) for the final 65 games of the season. This year, they return Braun back to the field and added starting pitching depth with Matt Garza. If Wily Peralta bounces back from a 4.37 ERA last year, then this Brewers starting pitching staff has huge potential for the 2014 season. A middle-of-the-road bullpen will keep Milwaukee in close games, and the offense could be top notch. Prospects Jean Segura (shortstop), Juan Francisco (first base), and Khris Davis (left field) will be counted on to take steps forward, and veterans Aramis Ramirez (third base), Carlos Gomez (center field), and Ryan Braun (right field) will need to stay healthy and on the field. If all goes right for the Brewers this year, they could be a huge surprise.

2014 projection 89-73 (Miss Playoffs)

Chicago Cubs – 2013 Record 66-96 (Missed Playoffs)

As much as 2013 fell apart for the Brewers, it was an absolute disaster for the Cubs. They had a lineup with a solid mix of veterans and young guys, and in July, they were only eight games out of the NL Wild Card. Then the Cubs traded starting pitchers Matt Garza and Scott Feldman and left fielder Alfonso Soriano for minor league prospects, and it all fell apart. The Cubs dropped to the bottom of the NL Central and second-to-last in all the National League. Currently the Cubs minor leagues are flooded with young talent, but as for the major league level… not so much. Ace of the staff Jeff Samardzija and rotation-mate Jason Hammel are both expected to be traded sometime during the season. By August 1, this team will likely look very different, with a lot of youth flooding the team. But as for this season, the Cubs are still far off.

2014 projection 71-91 (Miss Playoffs)