Boys lacrosse wins first playoff game against Grant
Letter to the reader 2024
Personal Finance 101

Turn Up at Turnabout

Student+Council+decorates+the+halls+for+Turnabout.+
Katie Vrba
Student Council decorates the halls for Turnabout.

This Saturday, February 22, LHS students will participate in the Hollywood themed Turnabout dance.

Student Council worked together with many staff members to make Turnabout 2014 the most exciting year yet.

“We are really going all out with the Hollywood theme,” said Ms. Andrea Lara assistant advisor on student council.

The students at LHS got to vote on either Harry Potter or a Hollywood theme for the dance. Decorations this year will be in the cafeteria, gym, and study hall room next to the gym.

As usual, the turnabout dance will have a dance party DJ. But don’t worry, the DJ will be playing music the students want to hear, with submitted song ideas and requests.

“Turnabout this year is a lot different in that we are making the cafeteria have more of a lounge kind of feel, ” said junior Elizabeth Polikoff, a member of student council.

The Turnabout dance has many new aspects, including a lounge in the cafeteria. The students can hang out and relax when they need a break from the actual dance.

Refreshments will also be provided in the lounge area, including cool beverages like water and lemonade.

At the fall Homecoming dance of 2013, the gym was extremely hot. This turnabout, the staff is taking extra precaution to make sure the students are comfortable and not overheated.

“We will be sure to have the temperature much cooler this time. Ideally it should feel a bit chilly when the dance starts, but heat up as the night progresses,” said Ms. Lara.

Turnabout isn’t just about one day anymore; it includes the whole week before as well. Anyone can participate in spirit week by dressing up as certain movie characters for each day. Tuesday is polar express day, Wednesday is Mean girls day, Thursday is U.S. day, and Friday is Wildcat Spirit day.

“My favorite part of dances is the excitement building up to them and of course the dances themselves too, ” said junior Maddie Anderson.

Don’t miss the Turnabout assembly, on Friday, February 21. There will be performances from athletics, intramurals, Special Olympics and the fine arts department. Even some teachers will join in on the fun.

“Expect to see some all-school challenges, lots of music and of course the crowning of this year’s Turnabout king,” said Ms. Lara.

The select 16 guys will be escorted by the 16 girls on honor court. Then the whole school will text their vote to choose the 2014 Turnabout King.