Big Year for Brainerd

It’s been one of the longest running debates in town history: what should Libertyville do with the historic Brainerd building? After years of talks about LHS’s former home, now’s the time for citizens to make a decision about the fate of Brainerd: will it stay or will it be demolished?

Monday, February 3 marked the first of three town hall-style meetings where citizens were encouraged to voice their opinions. The event was held at the Libertyville Civic Center that night, and mayor Terry Weppler was in attendance. The last two meetings are on February 12th and March 6th at the same place, both at 7:00 p.m.

John Snow is one of the supporters who has been rallying for Brainerd to be converted to an auditorium which can serve as both a theatre for performing arts as well as a banquet hall for wedding receptions and senior programs. The revenue generated from the events would be applied toward the expenses of renovation. The group is only calling for the demolition of the Jackson gym as a way to relocate the current Civic Center. The group has laid out a thorough plan of their operational and financial intentions, which can be found at www.savebrainerd.org.

Joe Bean and opponents wish for Brainerd to be demolished altogether, and then replaced by a commemorative plaza. Their message is simple: preserving Brainerd would be too expensive. The project would cost $14 million including interest and the property tax rate would increase by more than 24%. The opposition launched their website www.itsaNOBrainerd.org for the public to read more about their plans.

District 128, which owns the Brainerd building, is hoping that Brainerd will continue to be available as additional space for the high school. District superintendent Dr. Prentiss Lea emphasized that regardless of which stance one takes, it will come down to the upcoming Brainerd Referendum that determines the future of the property. “We are neither supporting or against the referendum,” he said. “It is time for the residents to decide what to do with Libertyville’s taxpayer money.”

Up to half of Brainerd’s parking lot could one day be utilized as extra parking spaces for LHS students through the school year. The nearby field space can become space for gym classes and athletics. Of course, it is imperative that construction takes place first, as the building was deemed unsafe in the 1990s and asbestos removal is required.

If the building is demolished, the District will take a different approach. “We have a long term capital plan that goes beyond the next 5-10 years to meet the needs for the students,” Dr. Lea stated. “One area would be designated for a brick gazebo that people could walk by and sit in. Additional features could include a commemorative plaque and green space.”

Whether or not you attend one of the meetings, you can still have a say in the future of Brainerd on March 18 if you are a resident of Libertyville and eligible to vote. That day, residents can formally cast their votes in a referendum that could generate up to $11.5 million in renovation bonds, according to the Libertyville Patch. The bonds are expected to be a combination of taxable and tax-exempt bonds that would be paid back over 10 years. More information about the Brainerd Referendum can be found at www.libertyville.com.

While Brainerd is owned by District 128, it is leased to the village, which subleases the facility to the non-profit Brainerd group. According to the Daily Herald, the village would owe the District $250,000 on December 1st and $50,000 per year starting in 2015 under the current lease agreement. A village bond issue would fund $350,000 in lease payments. The district will demolish Brainerd if the lease agreement is terminated.