Ian Cox

2 LHS staff members test positive for COVID-19

In mid-March, it was announced that two Libertyville High School staff members tested positive for COVID-19.

In an email sent out to students, parents and teachers on Tuesday, March 17, it was confirmed that a staff member at LHS tested positive for COVID-19. This person is currently under self-quarantine, and under medical supervision.

On March 20, another staff member tested positive for this virus, and two days later, an email was sent out about this situation.

Federal privacy laws do not allow for the identities of these staff members to be shared, but people who have been in close contact with them have been notified, said Mary Todoric, District 128’s director of communications.

Ms. Todoric added that the people who are infected were asked to make a list of people they have been in close contact with, and from there, the Lake County Health Department reached out to the people on that list.

Dr. Tom Koulentes, LHS principal, explained in an email that the Lake County Health Department is investigating the cases and will notify District 128 if they need to take any more actions.

Dr. Koulentes also advised people to continue to monitor their health, looking for any signs of sickness.

“I don’t believe that this changes [the way people should be behaving] because of the virus. That’s the advice that we’ve gotten from the CDC, the Illinois Department of Health, and the Lake County Department of Health,” said Ms. Todoric in a phone interview.

The district’s superintendent, Dr. Prentiss Lea, advised everyone to wash their hands, cough into their elbow, maintain a distance of six feet away from others and stay home if they feel sick. Dr. Lea also instructed students to follow the stay-at-home order issued by Gov. J.B. Pritzker on March 20, which currently lasts through April 7.

It is unclear whether this news will alter when District 128 students will be able to go back to school, but Ms. Todoric does not believe it will because Libertyville High School is already closed through April 7, as part of the state’s school closures.

Since the incubation period for COVID-19 is between 2-14 days, it is not known whether or not these staff members were at school while they had the virus but were asymptomatic. The last day school was open was March 13.

Drops of Ink • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in