Soxfest 2014 Review

From left to right: Former designated hitter and right fielder Harold Baines, Comcast Sportsnet anchor Chuck Garfein, former designated hitter Jim Thome, and former outfielder and designated hitter Bo Jackson.
Mike Gasick

Growing up as a White Sox fan all my life, I never dreamed that I would meet players, coaches, and staff. This past weekend, I had the fortunate opportunity to do just that.

Normally waking up early on a Sunday morning leads to groaning from students, but last Sunday, I was wide awake. When I arrived at Soxfest at the Palmer House Hilton in downtown Chicago, I was directed to roll call. There, I received my press pass that allowed me to attend different seminars, where fans could ask players and coaches different questions about anything. The most commonly asked questions were about the team’s failures last year, and how they plan to improve and learn from their mistakes they made last year.

The first session I attended, Prized Prospects, included four minor league players, three of which played up with the team last year: infielder Marcus Semien, right-handed pitcher Erik Johnson, infielder Micah Johnson, and catcher Josh Phegley. Public address announcer Gene Honda started by asking some silly questions, like what their favorite movie was, or who their favorite actresses are, but then the questions got more serious. Honda went on to ask how the players got to the majors and who their idols were. Erik Johnson’s idol growing up was Randy Johnson; hopefully there will be some parallels with the two this season. The fans asked the players about goals and where they want to be at the end of the season. All of the players stated that they want to be with the team and doing whatever they can to help the team win. Semien, Johnson, and Phegley were really funny with the fans and showed personality, while Erik Johnson took forever to answer the questions.

The second session I attended, 1,577 Home Runs and Counting: A Sluggers Round Table was much more populated because former sluggers Jim Thome, Bo Jackson, and Harold Baines were on stage. Comcast Sportsnet anchor Chuck Garfein was really funny with the players, asking different questions about specific games and at-bats. I found it amazing how the players could remember what pitches were thrown to them in at-bats that happened years ago. When Thome hit his 500th home run on the last day of the 2007 season, he remembered that the pitcher tried throwing him three cutters to brush him off the plate. On the last pitch of the at-bat, Thome remembered that the pitcher tried throwing a fastball past him. Obviously, that didn’t work out because the ball ended in the left field stands. That walk-off home run on the last day of the season was one of Thome’s greatest memories.

One of Bo Jackson’s greatest memories was in the 1989 All-Star Game, where Jackson hit a leadoff home run to start the game. He remembers extending his arms to pummel the ball over the fence. In fact, Jackson had the option of batting leadoff or eighth because the American League lineup was stacked that year, with names such as Kirby Puckett and Cal Ripken Jr. in the lineup. It was really funny seeing how much the three joked on stage. Harold Baines was giving Jackson a hard time because he batted fifth in that All-Star Game, a spot where Jackson hit on his Kansas City Royals team. Baines is currently the bench coach for the White Sox, and Thome and Jackson were the two most recent elected ambassadors to the White Sox. “We’re looking forward to working with the younger players in Glendale this spring,” stated Thome. “If Robin wants us to help them on the field, that would be a great opportunity for us.”

The third session I attended, A view From the Dugout, was with head coach Robin Ventura. He pointed out how the main focus of the upcoming season is to work on defense. He admitted that the defense last year was unacceptable and not White Sox baseball. The fans’ main questions were about the additions of players like third baseman Matt Davidson (acquired from Arizona), outfielder Adam Eaton (also acquired from Arizona) and first baseman Jose Abreu (acquired from Cuba). Ventura stated that he is excited about the new additions but admitted that these players are young, and that the Sox have to take it slow developing them into future major league stars. Ventura mentioned that there will be a lot of players battling it out for different starting positions this year. He hinted at how the catching situation is going to be competitive. Catchers Josh Phegley and Tyler Flowers will battle to achieve a starting position on the team. Phegley was called up last year and started off very hot, but then cooled off as the season progressed. Flowers had an awful season last year, batting a paltry .195. However the Sox signed him to a one-year extension, proving that they still have faith in the 28-year-old. Phegley stated, “I have the utmost respect for {Flowers}. Obviously, I want to be the starter, but in the end, {Ventura} is going to make the decision which is best for the team.”

Overall, Soxfest was a great time. It really gave me a sense that Sox fans are some of the best in sports because thousands showed up to the event, considering the team lost 99 games last year, and the snowy conditions fans had to drive through to get to the event. Autograph lines were out the door, and there was a positive attitude all around the hotel. I would definitely recommend this event to any White Sox fan.