Recent Typhoon Hits Home

Note: A picture that was included with this story when it was originally posted has been removed.

Last month, a typhoon ripped through the Philippines, killing 5,632 and leaving a large path of devastation, where there are still many without food and clean water and in desperate need of help. Storm surges rose over 15 to 20 feet, as the storm caused over $1 billion in damages, leading to millions of people being displaced from their homes. The pictures are daunting, as Typhoon Haiyan absolutely leveled some of the Philippines’ largest cities, including the major city of Tacloban.

Many countries around the world have provided money and troops for the Philippines. According to student activities director Mrs. Jennifer Uliks, there are currently no classes or clubs at LHS that are raising money for the typhoon.

Typhoon Haiyan hit home as well, as some LHS students had family members affected by the devastating storm. A few of sophomore Jordan Bach’s family members have connections to victims in the Philippines. They are now over in the ravaged country, helping family and friends recuperate from the storm. The family will be back within the next two weeks.

Senior Robert McCormick’s family on his mother’s side were on the phone with family all the way through the storm, making sure they were in touch and that they were safe. This comforted the family because they were well-informed about the family’s whereabouts during the storm. McCormick was born in Libertyville, however his mom grew up in Cebu, a large city in the Philippines. Most family from his mom’s side still resides there.

“I felt relieved and blessed that my family was okay, but I was saddened from the news of mass destruction and lives lost,” said McCormick.

Junior Clayton Fyfe’s grandfather survived the storm, but his province was hit by the typhoon, which caused minimal damage to his home. The only other effect that Haiyan had on the Fyfe family was communication issues. Fyfe’s uncle has had some difficulty getting in contact with his family and friends in the country.

In the Lake County community, many residents have made their way over to the Lake County Fairgrounds, where they have participated in “Feed My Starving Children,” a non-profit organization that produces three-meal packages that can be sent around the world to help prevent hunger. According to the Libertyville Review, approximately 657,000 volunteers from the Lake County area have come to make over 163 million meals for the hungry around the world this past year. Many of these meals will be heading to the Philippines for the victims of the typhoon.

According to The Philippine Star, 1,759 people still remain missing, as rescue and cleanup crews are still on the scene of the devastated country, and may remain there for quite some time.