Boys water polo seizes senior night success over Highland Park
Boys volleyball comes up just short against Carmel Corsairs
Which Woman of History Do You Resemble the Most?

A Half Penny Will Do

Note: A picture that was included with this story when it was originally posted has been removed.

It makes me sick to see students loudly announce their donations when giving to WISH fundraisers. With a proud and obnoxious grin (you all know the look), many love to display their “giving ways” during the holiday season. As I stare with disgust, cookie crumbs fall from the typical face, and it reminds me how selfish people can be at times. Not only do people constantly complain about the prices of WISH treats, but they almost forget the purpose of the event in the first place. The event is to help people! It’s not just some casual sale for the holidays, so think twice about the families in need before you take a bite and grudgingly pull a dollar out of your pocket. We shouldn’t be complaining about the donations we give. Either give them quietly, or don’t bother at all.

What’s the point of making your donations known, anyway? The holidays seem to be the one time of the year where people go the extra mile to do good for others, yet people act like they’re saints because of it. But it usually seems to be for the donator’s benefit… either with a treat or a glorified mental state. “I guess I’ll buy this brownie…it is for a good cause.” The Christmas “giving spirit” is nothing but a gimmick to make those who haven’t put in their share of charity in for the year feel useful in society, or to fit that “good person” persona they want to fit. If you really want to help people, put down the fat bag of puppy chow and do something genuine. If you are looking to be that “giving type” year round, venues for doing good are just around the corner. Try most any church, food pantry, or even the high school, and you’ll be sure to find ways to volunteer your efforts for good. Help is always appreciated and needed, even in areas better off like our own.

It’s strange, though. It’s strange that as a result of a couple faithful days in December, whether you’re religious or not, the season causes so much motivation to give to others. I’m not saying being charitable is by any means something that should change during these months, but isn’t it a little childish to act all high and mighty just for getting a snack that coincidentally is dedicated to a worthy cause this time of the year? I don’t think sales for baked goods in WISH would be any different if it were simply treats for profit. You know, you could always just donate to WISH without buying anything for yourself, if that’s really the intention. Yet, everyone does this act of “selfish donating” during the holidays.

But think about it — would you give a second thought to sparing a dollar to the homeless if it was July? Would you sneak your change into that tip jar if you didn’t have a lick of holiday cheer in you?

That’s what I thought.

While there are people who do go that extra mile year round, I think we can all agree that it’s rare. Next time you have the chance, try to give a little — even if it’s pocket change. Most of us just might float off about what we’re having for dinner or what we have to do for Lit as we walk out the door of the restaurant or tip-giving opportunity, but it really can make a difference to go out of your way, even it’s something small. Again, I’m not asking for you to run to the bank and slap down a hundred dollars, but even a couple of dollars can add up to a person in need. It could mean that the young waiter serving you might now have food for dinner. It could mean that the single mother working at the grocery store might be able to scrape by. Isn’t that a little more important than your Lit homework?

So, like I said, giving extra during Christmas time is great and all, but before you shout out your glory to the world, remember that most of us could be doing so much more. Remember that probably the only reason you are donating during the holidays is because you’re trying to add a little cheer to your Christmas. Think about those receiving, instead… doing a little selfless good might make your holidays more cheerful in the end, anyway.