Learning life skills through journalism

Drops of Ink has taught me many valuable lessons that will help me later in life. It has taught me communication skills and social skills that I otherwise might have struggled with. In-person interviews challenged my comfort zone when I first joined the staff, but now I have developed social skills that make in-person interviews a breeze. It has also taught me how to work efficiently with my peers. Working together to meet every deadline may seem very difficult, but when the whole staff is dedicated to making the magazine the best it can be, it’s easy. I first joined Drops of Ink because my aunt, who is a journalism teacher at a different school, convinced me it would be fun. From the first day that I walked into class, I realized it would be one of the most fun classes I will have in high school. The whole staff works together to put together a magazine that we are all proud of. An example of that would be when a fellow staff member, Sam Nelson, and I wrote a story titled “100 Facts for 100 Years” to celebrate the centennial of LHS. Sam and I spend almost every day after school and most weekends at the library trying to find enough interesting facts. We went through all of the yearbooks and old Drops of Ink issues. All in all, lots of hard work and dedication goes into each and every Drops of Ink issue, and I couldn’t be more proud of this staff.

Drops of Ink • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in