Alexandra+Eastmond

Ben Kanches

Alexandra Eastmond

Alexandra Eastmond was a freshman on LHS’s varsity swim team. She has been swimming for six years after her parents signed her up for swimming when she was 8 years old because her friend was signed up for swim too.

However, according to Eastmond, “[she] wanted to quit on the first day. Over time, [she] fell in love with [swimming].”

Eastmond swims for Patriot Aquatic Club along with the high school team. She is also a part of USA Swimming Futures Champions, a swimming team that is a step higher than state and a step lower than junior nationals ran by USA Swimming. During the high school season, Eastmond’s swim life consists of two hours of swimming after school, weightlifting two days a week and practice on Saturdays, along with meets.

“[Alexandra] has a great work ethic that has been contagious for our team. She always pushes herself at every practice. She always believes she can go faster,” said varsity swim coach, Mr. Erik Rogers, over email. Over the summer, Eastmond’s club team would sometimes practice in the morning and at night. Due to this commitment, swimming often conflicts with some other things she wants to do. For example, over the summer, she wasn’t able to make her biannual trip to visit her family in Canada due to her swimming; Eastmond moved from Montreal, Canada a little more than four years ago.

On varsity, she has competed in every event except for the 100-meter butterfly. On her club team, she has the fastest 200-meter backstroke out of all ages. This summer, she placed second in the state for the 200m backstroke with a time of 2:23.56.

“I love being in the water. If we don’t have practice that day, I feel upset, and I just love my teammates; they’re basically my second family,” said Eastmond. She wants to compete in college, specifically at Stanford University, if it is compatible with her major.

Alexandra competes alongside two other freshmen on varsity swim this year, Caitlin McCarty and Angela Becker.

Drops of Ink • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in