Roommating: The Fail-Safe How to Guide

Many college freshman find their roomates on Facebook—but how?
Facebook.com

The end of high school brings with it a lot of important choices for college-bound seniors. Even after decision day, there’s still a lot of thinking to do. What will your major be? What dorm will you live in? Clubs? Meal plans? And of course: Who will your roommate be?

There are many ways for students to choose the person they’ll share their freshman year with. Some schools have systems set up to match you with a likely mate. Others assign randomly and let the rooming gods deciding. Almost as animalistic as this system of chance is the use of that formidable site your mom still tries to message you on sometimes: Facebook.

Most schools have freshman class Facebook pages for their incoming students to mix and mingle. This is prime hunting ground for a roommate, but you must proceed with caution. Formulating the perfect post is as important as any admissions essay. What do you say to make someone want to be stuck in a veritable shoe box with you for a whole year? How do you make yourself seem fun but not weird? Neat but not anal? Social but not crazy?

Never fear: your friendly neighborhood Drops of Ink satirist is here! I’ve whipped up a template for the perfect roommate request — quirky, unarguable and undeniably relatable. Slap this baby on your school’s Facebook page and you’re sure to be rolling in requests!

Probably.

Hello future (insert plural form of school mascot here)!!!!!

My name is (your name here), I’m from (your town here), and I can’t wait to attend (your college here). I’ll be a (your major here) major, and I’m looking for a roommate! Here are a couple things you should know about me:

As far as my interests, I LOVE Netflix and music is LIFE! But I also possess the human ability to exist in silence without stimulation should it be necessary. In my social life, I guess I’d call myself an extroverted introvert. Sometimes I like to go out, but other times, I just REALLY like to stay in, you know! Especially late at night, I’ll do this thing where I’ll lie in my bed and slip into a state of unconscious in order to rejuvenate my body for the next day, but that just might be me idk lol.

There are a couple other kind of strange things that I do: like I SERIOUSLY can NOT survive without food, water and shelter.  And stop me if this is too weird, but I do this thing where I breathe in oxygen and breathe out carbon dioxide? If that freaks you out, I can try and do it less I guess LOL, but ideally I’d like to find a roomie who does the same thing!

I’d call myself a neat slob, I guess, when it comes to cleanliness. I’m really easy to live with — as long as you don’t impair the operation of any of my vital body functions, we should be able to coexist without a problem!

Message me if you think we have things in common! Go (repeat plural form of mascot)!!!!!!