What’s Trending: Sleep Help

Brain.fm

Brain.fm is an online subscription service that uses a variety of audio frequency brain waves to improve concentration, relaxation, and sleep. Time of music play ranges anywhere from 30 minutes to a continuous loop. Brain.fm currently has a beta option, which includes a seven-day free trial with 10 free sessions. The subscriptions to Brain.fm can be purchased on a monthly or yearly basis, or last forever.

TaoMix

TaoMix is an app that provides a loop of customizable nature soundtracks to users that is available for download on both the iTunes and Android app stores. Although TaoMix is free and comes with starter sounds packs, more packs are available for purchase to expand the audio collection to winds, bird chirps and water flows.

Neuro Drinks — Sleep

Neuro Drinks offers a wide range of supplements, vitamins and minerals presented in a carbonated and flavored beverage form, with a few exceptions. One of the brand’s lines includes the drink Neuro Sleep, which features a 55-milligram blend of L-theanine, melatonin (3 mg) and 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) mixed with 50 mg of magnesium and “superfruit extracts pomegranate, acai and blueberry,” according to the product’s website. The website stresses that this drink is a “liquid dietary supplement” and boasts being “BPA, vegan and gluten free” on its nutritional values label. Flavors include Tangerine Dream, Mellow Mango and a plain, non-carbonated version.

Lush’s Ickle Baby Bot Bath Bomb

Lush is a cosmetics company that is most famous for its self-preserving products and its magical bath bombs, which includes sleep aids, like the Ickle Baby Bot. According to Lush’s website, this particular bath bomb smells of “sleep-inducing essential oils,” such as “lavender, chamomile and sandalwood,” which are “designed to mesmerize the senses.” The Ickle Baby Bot bath bomb comes in a tiny robot shape and is available for $4.50 at Lush in stores and online.

Contoured Sleep Mask

Falling asleep can be difficult to do in light and public places, but it’s still important to do on especially long flights and road trips. A potentially helpful tool to block out distracting senses in these situations is a contoured sleeping mask.

Contoured sleeping masks have the basic functions of regular masks, like providing a cover for the eyes to block out light, as well as having a raised surface area for the eyes so they don’t touch the mask and a covering for the nose, making it more comfortable and fitted to one’s face. Sleep masks can be purchased on Amazon or at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Essential Oil Diffuser

Essential oil diffusers are devices in which a minimal amount of an essential oil is diluted with hot water, allowing for the oil to be released through steam in a small space. Keeping the diffuser near the bed may allow for benefits of facial steaming to be gained while sleeping. According to the American Academy of Dermatology via How Stuff Works, face steaming stimulates blood circulation and perspiration, which helps the body naturally cool itself down. Body temperature tends to mildly decrease right before sleep and the slight drop in degrees helps to induce sleep, according to Stanford biology professor Dr. H. Craig Heller.

Aside from releasing steam, oil diffusers also emit the fragrance of the essential oils chosen, which may help create a tranquil atmosphere before bed. The properties of certain essential oils that are concentrated from herbs and plants often have aromatic benefits that aid in relaxation for sleep. Scents such as lavender, chamomile, and bergamot are commonly known for their floral and calming aromas. Essential oil diffusers can be purchased on youngliving.com, Amazon or at Whole Foods.