Upcoming LHS Centennial Celebration in Planning Stages

The Libertyville High School Class of 1918 graduated nearly 100 years ago, marking formation of the school in 1917. Now LHS will celebrate its 100th anniversary in a upcoming year long celebration.
Courtesy of Mary Todoric

An event 100 years in the making, the start of Libertyville High School’s Centennial Celebration is less than eight months away. LHS was founded in 1917, a time when Woodrow Wilson was still president and the United States had just entered World War I. Now, 100 years later, Libertyville is coming together as a community to celebrate this milestone.

The celebration will consist of both a specific event for all of the community to celebrate, as well as smaller festivities throughout LHS’s 100th year. According to Mrs. Mary Todoric, Director of Communications for District 128, the main event will take place at LHS after the homecoming parade on October 7th, 2017.

The theme of the centennial celebration (LHS 100: Celebrating a Century of Excellence) will be carried out in events throughout the school year,” commented Mrs. Todoric over email.

Mrs. Sherri Cote, a member of the Centennial Celebration Planning Committee, commented, “We are still very much in the planning stages and trying to figure out what it (the celebration) should look like.” However, Mrs. Cote being a staff member and a parent of wildcats added that “We want everybody to come. We want past, present, and future Wildcats. We want community members and staff to be involved.”

Since the yearlong celebration is still in the preliminary stages, a logo for the occasion has yet to be selected. “The logo contest is still going. We need logos submitted, so we encourage students and staff members to send something in,” stated Mrs. Cote.

Logo submissions for the event can be emailed to Mrs. Todoric at [email protected].

“We are accepting entries for the logo design contest through Feb. 24,” stated Mrs. Todoric, “The Centennial Celebration Planning Committee will review the entries and select a winner the following week.​”

Additionally, @LHSCentennial, the celebration’s Twitter account, will post upcoming information about the celebration.