BREAKING NEWS: Students gather to address Israel-Palestine conflict in walkout
Boys lacrosse bests Wheaton North with 12-3 victory

Red Ribbon Kuz Classic 5k

On Sunday, October 6, Athletes Committed to Excellence is sponsoring the Red Ribbon Kuz Classic 5K run in Libertyville, which will take place at 10:00 A.M., and will help raise awareness for drug and alcohol prevention.

To enter the race, LHS students must pay $10, and all others must may $25.  This money will be used to give two LHS athletes, one male and one female, a scholarship for being drug- and alcohol-free all four years at LHS.  The money will also help bring money back to the high school to help with the budgets.  The race will be sponsored by not only ACE, but also by Runner’s Edge and LHS Parent Cats.

The 3.1 mile race will begin at the LHS football field, weave around Butler Lake, and then return to the football field for the finish line. (ADD PICTURE) After the race, there will be a ceremony where the scholarships will be awarded.

This year, the Red Ribbon Kuz Classic is held in honor of a great role model, coach, and all around person:  Former P.E. teacher and head football coach Randy Kuceyeski, or  Coach Kuz for short.

“He was a great friend of mine, and a guy I really look up to,” stated Sean Ferrell, team leader of LST Q-Z list, and leader of ACE.  “He tries to set an example and help kids make good decisions.”

ACE teaches very important philosophies. They preach a drug- and alcohol-free lifestyle, and all members follow these ideals.  The club’s lessons are run by the students.  They speak about ways to remain drug- and alcohol-free through their years at LHS and teach students how to stay strong during peer pressure.

For the 20th year of the Red Ribbon Classic, ACE has decided to give two LHS athletes scholarships.   The idea to give the scholarships was inspired by a man named Leo McCarthy.  McCarthy’s 14-year-old daughter was killed by a drunk driver while walking home from school one day.  McCarthy then decided to start a scholarship foundation for high school students who choose to be drug and alcohol free.

Kelly Waldvogel, an LHS sophomore and member of ACE, is working the race.

“I have run in it [Red Ribbon Classic] for years, and I decided it would be fun to be a part of the behind the scenes preparations,” Waldvogel stated.  “I also wanted to help out ACE.  I was drawn to ACE because of the topics we cover and the messages projected.”

The Red Ribbon Kuz Classic does not only involve running in the race, but will also have a costume contest, raffle prizes, music, and much more. The link to sign up for the race is here: https://docs.google.com/a/lhswildcats.org/forms/d/1bNT6bLLBzEK0sQeHlvES8kg1ckorgCqd_jJzROZDhSw/viewform.