Boys volleyball fights hard against Glenbrook South Titans
Badminton gives their all on the courts against Glenbrook North
Girls lacrosse endures a hard fight against Lockport

2016 Holiday Band Concert Preview

Courtesy of Adam Gohr.
Members of the band performing in a previous concert.

On Tuesday, Dec. 13, at 7:30 p.m., all four of the LHS bands (Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Symphonic Winds, and Wind Ensemble) will be performing a holiday band concert for the Libertyville community in the LHS auditorium. This performance will showcase the students’ hard work and talent.

Mr. Adam Gohr, Director of Bands at LHS, described the concert, over email, as a way “to present a musical offering to the community that is both fun and educational.”

This concert will include both holiday themed music and music drawn from traditional and contemporary band repertoire. A few less-frequently heard instruments will be making a debut in this concert. The Wind Ensemble will have a celeste, a keyboard instrument that sounds similar to bells, and the harp for “Nutcracker Suite.”

The bands have been working toward this concert since their Band Festival on Nov. 11. However, many of the students started band at a young, which contributes to the preparation for this concert.

Mr. Matthew Karnstedt, Assistant Director of Bands, said the preparation process has been a lot easier due to the students’ effort and attitude.

“I also enjoy being able to showcase our students’ talents and hard work to the public. They have done really well learning all of the music, and it’s a cool experience for them to see their hard work pay off,” said Mr. Karnstedt over email.

Mr. Gohr’s favorite part of the holiday band concert is the traditional encore, “Sleigh Ride,” which the seniors and Wind Ensemble play. Many high school bands use this piece as their encore. Mr. Gohr played this when he was in high school as well, with the role of the “horse whinny” solo in 1992.

“I’m looking forward to being with all my friends and getting to spread holiday cheer at our concert,” said, over email, junior flutist Laura Pressley.

Pressley included how wonderful the people and directors are that make up the band department.

In addition to “Sleigh Ride,” Mr. Gohr is looking forward to another piece: “[‘Ave Maria’ is] a beautiful work, originally for chorus, that was arranged for band, and is a gorgeous serene setting that is perfect amidst the hustle and bustle of the holidays.”

Mr. Karnstedt is looking forward to seeing all four bands come together as one to perform.

“This will be a great concert, and all students, faculty, or community members are more than welcome to attend!” he said.