LHS to offer AP Lunch next year

Taken from College Board website / Edits made by Josh Bragg
AP Lunch will be the newest of a wide variety of Advanced Placement exams available.

A new Advanced Placement class will be offered at Libertyville High School next year in response to students’ hunger to keep piling up their course load. The new course, titled “AP Lunch,” will be available for sophomores, juniors, and seniors starting with the 2016-2017 academic year (freshmen are excluded due to their Link Crew obligation).

Principal Dr. Marina Scott believes that the addition of yet another AP course will strengthen the skills of Libertyville High School students even further: “We see time and time again how many exceptional young Wildcats wish to challenge themselves with all these AP exams they keep taking. We thought it would be best to match their passion by feeding them another course.”

Dr. Scott said that those who complain about the regular old cafeteria will have the option to spice things up a bit with this class. AP Lunch will test students on their ability to eat at a high level. Some of the goals of the course include being able to eat with chopsticks effectively and eating spicy hot buffalo wings without needing a ton of napkins.

“We hope that this will motivate our students to add more onto their plate in the future. I donut think that any student would be biting off more than they can chew when taking this class,” Dr. Scott said.

The exam in May will consist of 100 multiple-choice questions testing students on their culinary and dining expertise. A new type of problem, known as the Free-Response Challenge or “FRC,” will put students to the test as they compete within their testing rooms on who can wolf down the most hot dogs or cheeseburgers within a given time limit.

Those who receive a 3 or above on the AP Lunch exam will have the ability to exempt out of lunch in college (at most schools). The College Board believes that this will prove to be quite the incentive for students who struggle to afford paying for food at the next level, so the idea is to remove eating altogether.

Those who are willing to cram down on this new class will be taught by cafeteria monitors Diane Bauer and Joe Ravagni. The class will be available for full periods 4 through 6, but those in period 7 will only have 25 minutes of class time. Seniors will have the ability to earn extra credit by either hitting up Don’s or completing the Brat Stop challenge on time.

Depending on the success of the first year of AP Lunch, the College Board has been looking to expand its options even further. Although an AP Physical Education class has been discussed as the next new Advanced Placement course, AP Study Hall has been gaining some traction. The success of the Drop-In Lab as a place of quiet and focus has shown that students are ready to learn absolutely nothing.
If you are interested in taking AP Lunch next year, please notify your counselor of your desire to quench your thirst for knowledge.

View Comments (1)