Up-And-Coming Music for Fall

Over the past few weeks, I have noticed there has been an expansion of new music from popular as well as up-and-coming artists. Based on the countless notifications I have been receiving on Spotify as well as public playlists on the app, I have selected five recently released albums and five albums coming soon that I felt were the most prevalent. From genres ranging from classic country’s Carrie Underwood to rapper Mac Miller, you’re sure to find something worth checking out.

Recently Released:

“Sounds Good Feels Good”

• 5 Seconds of Summer (Oct. 23)

After dropping the popular single ¨She’s Kinda Hot” in July and the recent “Hey Everybody” in early October, the Australian pop punk band followed up with a full album: “Sounds Good Feels Good.” The two preceding singles have a more pop feel while the darker and punk-sounding songs “Permanent Vacation” and “Jet Black Heart” have been said to sound similar to Green Day – according to Rolling Stone – with angsty lyrics and edgy guitars. However, the band still manages to reach out to share about deeper issues – maybe even of mental health – with “Invisible” and “Outer Space/ Carry On.”

“Storyteller”

• Carrie Underwood (Oct. 23)

Underwood’s first single from the album was “Smoke Break,” an anthem she says was written “for every hardworking person,” according to Taste of Country. The next 12 songs on the album also did not fail to disappoint country fans. The album is said to be her most personal album yet, with sentimental love songs such as  “Heartbeat” and “What I Never Knew I Always Wanted;” however, Underwood never fails to bring the heat with “Mexico,” “Dirty Laundry,” and “Church Bells.”

“Dopamine”

• BØRNS (Oct. 16)

This is the debut album of the up-and-coming indie pop artist. The album features the upbeat song “Electric Love” as well as the more calming “10,000 Emerald Pools” from his EP “Candy.” The artist’s fresh take on psychedelic pop and utilization of falsetto has brought on comparisons to bands Tame Impala and MGMT – according to MusicDash. New songs “American Money” and “The Emotion” featured on the album are also notable.

“Revival”

• Selena Gomez (Oct. 15)

The former Disney star shows a more mature side of herself with her second studio album. The singer opens up about common themes of heartbreak, love, and confidence. “Good for You” featuring A$AP Rocky was heard on radios nationwide this summer, and the other 10 songs on the album follow up with a similar pop-dance feel. Noteworthy songs include “Hands to Myself,” “Same Old Love,” and “Sober.”

“GO:OD A.M.”

• Mac Miller (Sept. 18)

Miller gave fans a preview of the album with the first single “100 Grandkids,” which was released in August. This is the artist’s third studio album, and he has proven that he has matured and come a long way from platinum single “Donald Trump” back in 2011. The album features Ab-Soul, Lil B, Miguel, Chief Keef, and Little Dragon. “Weekend” and “Clubhouse” have followed the initial single’s success with clever lyrics and amazing beats.

Coming Soon:

“Made In the AM”

• One Direction (Nov. 13) 

The band plans to release a fifth album, its first without former member Zayn Malik. Songs “Drag Me Down,” “Perfect,” and “Infinity” have already been released, but fans are eager to hear the next 14 songs in the album.

“Purpose”

• Justin Bieber (Nov. 13)

Bieber has also dropped three songs to appear on his new album: “What Do You Mean?,” “Sorry,” and “Where Are Ũ Now.” The pop singer has just revealed the full tracklist, which will feature Skrillex, Halsey, Nas, Travis Scott, Big Sean, and Ed Sheeran.

“Delirium”

• Ellie Goulding (Nov. 6)

This will be the third studio album for the English singer and songwriter, and it will feature songs “Love Me Like You Do” and “On My Mind.”

“Get Weird”

• Little Mix (Nov. 6)

The British girl group will release a new album in November, with songs “Black Magic” and “Love Me Like You.”

“25”

• Adele (Nov. 20)

After her single “Hello” went viral after being released Oct. 23, fans were pleased to hear that the singer decided to continue in the music industry with a new album.