Jazz Bands Perform in Final Concert of the Year
Boys water polo seizes senior night success over Highland Park
Boys volleyball comes up just short against Carmel Corsairs

2015 NBA Playoffs Preview

The 2015 NBA Playoffs are here. The playoffs serve as a time where legacies are formed, from Bill Russell’s dominant Celtics, to Magic Johnson’s “Showtime” Lakers, to Michael Jordan’s glorious Bulls teams, and many more. Last year’s Finals saw the Spurs take home the NBA championship after losing the year prior to the same team, the Miami Heat, in seven games. With old contenders dismantled and the emergence of some new faces, the 2015 postseason campaign looks to be an exciting one.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

lebronjaemez
Photo courtesy of the NBA’s Facebook page

Atlanta Hawks

Record: 60-22 (17-11 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Jeff Teague
  • SG: Kyle Korver
  • SF: DeMarre Carroll
  • PF: Paul Millsap
  • C: Al Horford

Injuries: Mike Scott (out) Thabo Sefolosha (out)

Summary: The Hawks have basically been on cruise control since they’ve taken complete command of the one seed in the Eastern Conference, resting players left and right in preparation for a deep playoff run. Their success is tied to a team effort, with each player contributing to the cause. The Hawks’ offense is predicated on spacing and ball movement, which is inspired by the San Antonio Spurs’ system. Led by former Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer, the Hawks hope to take advantage of a weak road to the Eastern Conference Finals, where they would likely meet either the Cavs or the Bulls.

Cleveland Cavaliers

Record: 53-29 (20-7 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Kyrie Irving
  • SG: J.R. Smith
  • SF: LeBron James
  • PF: Kevin Love
  • C: Timofey Mozgov

Injuries:

Summary: The Cavaliers had their fair share of controversy early on in the season due to poor play and a lack of cohesion, and some rumors were spread throughout major media outlets. Some analysts criticized Coach David Blatt due to the team’s slow start. However, after making a number of deals at the trade deadline, the Cavs have been red-hot and the stories have all but disappeared. LeBron James is playing like his usual dominant self, young superstar guard Kyrie Irving has been playing out of his mind, and while Kevin Love has struggled mightily, he is still an All-Star quality player. This extremely talented but inexperienced squad is ready for the playoffs, and it appears that the Eastern Conference will go through a LeBron-led team for yet another season.

Chicago Bulls

Record: 50-32 (16-12 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Derrick Rose
  • SG: Jimmy Butler
  • SF: Mike Dunleavy
  • PF: Pau Gasol
  • C: Joakim Noah

Injuries: Kirk Hinrich (hurt)

Summary: Another year, another injury to Derrick Rose. The former MVP has missed a majority of the past two seasons due to knee injuries, and recently tore his meniscus again. However, unlike in years past, Rose is active for the playoffs, which he has not participated in since April 2012. This may be the most talented team Rose has ever been surrounded by, as the Bulls boast a roster which features the vastly improved Jimmy Butler, veteran big man Pau Gasol, reigning Defensive Player of the Year Joakim Noah, and the up-and-coming star Nikola Mirotic. The Bulls haven’t had much time to play with one another due to various injuries, but they’ll hope to compete for the franchise’s first championship since the Jordan era.

Toronto Raptors

Record: 49-33 (13-16 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Kyle Lowry
  • SG: DeMar DeRozan
  • SF: Terrence Ross
  • PF: Amir Johnson
  • C: Jonas Valanciunas

Injuries:

Summary: After a surprisingly successful 2013-14 campaign and first-round exit in Game 7 at the hands of the Brooklyn Nets, the Raptors have been somewhat of an afterthought in 2014-15. Toronto has a fairly talented roster, including All Stars DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry, but questions remain about the status of head coach Dwane Casey, who has received criticism for his on-court schemes. However, the city is energized and completely behind this team, who set a franchise record for wins for two consecutive seasons. The franchise is trending upwards and Raptors fans will be cheering for their team to win its first playoff series since 2001.

Washington Wizards

Record: 46-36 (13-15 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: John Wall
  • SG: Bradley Beal
  • SF: Paul Pierce
  • PF: Nenê
  • C: Marcin Gortat

Injuries:

Summary: The Wizards’ season has been an interesting one, to say the least. After making the conference semi-finals last year, Washington was expected to take another step in 2015 and hasn’t really lived up to the hype. Coach Randy Wittman has received a lot of flack for his team’s lack of offensive gameplan and stubbornness to change his ways. This team is still quite talented. The athletic John Wall is a rising superstar at the point guard spot, Bradley Beal can shoot the lights out from outside, and the Wizards host a number of experienced veterans in the names of Paul Pierce, Nene, and Marcus Gortat. Some fans are hoping that the season will end in Wittman’s firing, but the squad itself will be fighting to remain in the postseason.

Milwaukee Bucks

Record: 41-41 (11-18 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Michael Carter-Williams
  • SG: Khris Middleton
  • SF: Giannis Antetokounmpo
  • PF: Ersan Ilyasova
  • C: Zaza Pachulia

Injuries: Jabari Parker (out)

Summary: The Milwaukee Bucks have been a revelation in 2014-15, as they have risen from a 15-67 record the season prior to a winning record. Coach Jason Kidd has turned his inexperienced, young, and talented squad into a legitimate playoff team. The Bucks lost their future franchise player Jabari Parker early in the season due to a torn ACL but haven’t looked back. Milwaukee boasts a lineup that features a large amount of size, including the “Greek Freak” Giannis Antetokounmpo, a 6’11” guard with a 7’5” wingspan. This team features a lot of new faces with little-to-no playoff experience and will be looking forward to making a statement in this year’s postseason.

Boston Celtics

Record: 40-42 (20-11 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Marcus Smart
  • SG: Avery Bradley
  • SF: Evan Turner
  • PF: Brandon Bass
  • C: Tyler Zeller

Injuries:

Summary: In what was supposed to be a rebuilding year, the Boston Celtics have surged from being just another lottery team to the playoffs. Head coach Brad Stevens has been credited with leading his team to live past their expectations. The Celtics’ success cannot be attributed to just one player, as the team features a balanced roster that doesn’t possess as much talent as the other teams in the playoffs. Despite the Celtics’ surprising season, they don’t really appear to be anything more than one of those “happy-to-be-here” teams who would be lucky to win a single game.

Brooklyn Nets

Record: 38-44 (17-13 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Deron Williams
  • SG: Markel Brown
  • SF: Joe Johnson
  • PF: Mason Plumlee
  • C: Brook Lopez

Injuries:

Summary: The Brooklyn Nets have been at the end of a lot of jokes in 2014-15 due to the franchise’s questionable decision making and management. GM Billy King has been heavily criticized for putting the Nets’ future in jeopardy by trading valuable draft picks to the Boston Celtics in exchange for aging veterans Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, who are both no longer with the team. Despite the clouded future, the Nets find themselves in the playoffs yet again and will be focused on making a statement against the Hawks, who own their draft pick in this year’s draft.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Warriors-Beat-Spurs

Golden State Warriors

Record: 65-17 (25-6 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Stephen Curry
  • SG: Klay Thompson
  • SF: Harrison Barnes
  • PF: Draymond Green
  • C: Andrew Bogut

Injuries:

Summary: The Warriors have blown expectations out of the water in head coach Steve Kerr’s first season with the club, as the Dubs have won a franchise record 65 games. Golden State is lead by MVP frontrunner and sharpshooter Steph Curry, who is surrounded by arguably the greatest supporting cast in the league. Curry’s fellow “Splash Brother” and backcourt partner Klay Thompson has transformed into an All-Star level player and Draymond Green has turned into a lockdown defender and jack-of-all-trades. The rest of the roster is filled with former starters-turned role players. The Warriors hope to bring home their first championship in 40 years. They have only lost two games at home all season and it has yet to be seen if any team can beat them in a seven-game series.

Houston Rockets

Record: 56-26 (20-9 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: James Harden
  • SG: Jason Terry
  • SF: Trevor Ariza
  • PF: Terrence Jones
  • C: Dwight Howard

Injuries:   Patrick Beverley (out), Donatas Motiejunas (out)

Summary: After missing out on star power forward Chris Bosh in free agency and losing key role players Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, and Omer Asik, the Rockets were expected to take a step back this season. However, they have actually improved, as James Harden has put the team on his back in spite of various injuries, including to Dwight Howard. Harden has found himself in a tight two-man MVP race with the Warriors’ Steph Curry. The Rockets’ postseason was cut short last year after Damian Lillard and the Blazers sent them home with his Game 6 buzzer- beater in Portland. Houston will be hoping that their analytics-based play style and defense will help them make a Finals run in the tough Western Conference.

Los Angeles Clippers

Record: 56-26 (21-7 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Chris Paul
  • SG: JJ Redick
  • SF: Matt Barnes
  • PF: Blake Griffin
  • C: DeAndre Jordan

Injuries:

Summary: The Clippers went through a messy situation during last year’s playoffs due to the distraction that the Donald Sterling accusations caused. However, with new owner Steve Ballmer in charge and a new energy felt around the fanbase, the Clippers can finally focus on playing basketball and making a deep run in the playoffs. L.A. is led by arguably the best duo in the league, Blake Griffin and Chris Paul, who have both received a lot of criticism for their lack of postseason success. This may be the best Clippers team yet in the Griffin-Paul era, but the Clippers will have to overcome some other immensely talented teams, specifically the Spurs and Warriors, in order to get to their first-ever Finals.

Portland Trail Blazers

Record: 51-31 (15-14 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Damian Lillard
  • SG: Arron Afflalo
  • SF: Nicolas Batum
  • PF: LaMarcus Aldridge
  • C: Robin Lopez

Injuries: Wesley Matthews (out), Nicolas Batum (hurt), Arron Afflalo (hurt)

Summary: A year after the shot heard ‘round the world, the Trail Blazers find themselves in the middle of the Western Conference yet again. 2015 has not been the luckiest of years for Blazers fans, as the team has seen some of its most valuable players sustain various injuries, such as sharpshooter Wesley Matthews and his torn achilles. Portland has been ice cold recently, as they have only managed to win 10 of 22 games since the Matthews injury. There is still hope for the team in the name of LaMarcus Aldridge, who has had arguably the best season of his career thus far. Nevertheless, making it out of the first round would be a major surprise for this group.

Memphis Grizzlies

Record: 55-27 (16-13 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Mike Conley Jr.
  • SG: Courtney Lee
  • SF: Tony Allen
  • PF: Zach Randolph
  • C: Marc Gasol

Injuries:

Summary: “Grit ‘n’ Grind” has been the motto for this Grizzlies squad for the past several years. The Grizz are known for their physical, defensive strategy and playing at a very slowed down pace. Memphis’ roster has not changed much over the years and still contains a core of Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph, and Mike Conley. The Grizz were eliminated last season in the first round by the Oklahoma City Thunder in a grueling seven games, who missed the playoffs due to Kevin Durant’s injuries. They will be aiming to make a return to the Western Conference Finals, a first-time feat they accomplished in 2013.

San Antonio Spurs

Record: 55-27 (21-8 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Tony Parker
  • SG: Danny Green
  • SF: Kawhi Leonard
  • PF: Tim Duncan
  • C: Tiago Splitter

Injuries: Tiago Splitter (hurt)

Summary: The Spurs are back. The defending champs were mediocre at best for portions of the regular season, but have exploded as of late, as usual. San Antonio was riding an 11-game winning streak until they faced a playoff-hungry Pelicans team, who won a fervent home game that sent the Spurs from the #2 seed all the way down to #6. The Spurs still have their experienced Big Three of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili, who set the record for most games played by a trio in NBA history. However, the reigning Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard has emerged as the team’s best player, and the squad will be expecting to make a return to the Finals and repeating as champions.

Dallas Mavericks

Record: 50-32 (14-13 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Rajon Rondo
  • SG: Monta Ellis
  • SF: Chandler Parsons
  • PF: Dirk Nowitzki
  • C: Tyson Chandler

Injuries: Chandler Parsons (hurt)

Summary: Four years removed from winning the championship, the Dallas Mavericks find themselves in the thick of the Western Conference yet again. This group looks a lot different from the one that took home the trophy in 2011, featuring new faces such as Chandler Parsons and Rajon Rondo. Tyson Chandler has returned to the club to pair up with frontcourt mate and former Finals MVP Dirk Nowitzki, who is getting up there in terms of age. The Mavericks display a pretty balanced starting lineup, but their lack of depth may prevent them from making a deep run.

New Orleans Pelicans

Record: 45-37 (18-11 since All-Star Break)

Starting Lineup:

• PG: Tyreke Evans
  • SG: Eric Gordon
  • SF: Quincy Pondexter
  • PF: Anthony Davis
  • C: Omer Asik

Injuries: Jrue Holiday (hurt)

Summary: It is time for a new era. 2015 will mark the first postseason that features Anthony Davis, the 22-year old phenom who’s known for his insane athleticism and tremendous size. The Pelicans clinched a playoff berth on the very last day of the regular season, defeating a red-hot Spurs team in an emotional victory while edging the Thunder and Russell Westbrook for the 8th seed. Pelicans fans will be excited to see their young superstar in action in what will likely be the first of many postseason appearances.

PREDICTIONS

predictions

Eastern Conference representative: Cleveland Cavaliers

The Cavaliers were pegged by many at the beginning of the season to be the favorites to take home the 2015 title after acquiring LeBron James and Kevin Love. The Cavs got off to a slow start but now look poised to make a deep postseason run. They will likely face only two teams that have a legitimate chance to knock them out of the playoffs: the Atlanta Hawks and the Chicago Bulls. However, if Cleveland can stick to their gameplan and allow their stars to carry them the rest of the way, then in all likelihood, James will make his fifth consecutive Finals appearance.

Western Conference representative: Golden State Warriors

The Warriors will be hoping that their outstanding regular season success will translate to the playoffs. Golden State actually has a fairly decent path to the Western Conference Finals (by their standards), where would likely meet the winner of the Spurs/Clippers first round series. For whichever team they play, the Warriors’ home court advantage may prove to be the difference maker that sends them to the Finals.

NBA Finals: Golden State Warriors defeat Cleveland Cavaliers, 4-2

In a matchup that would cause ratings to skyrocket, the Warriors find themselves fighting against the new look Cavaliers. This Finals would not be lacking in star power, with big names such as LeBron James, Steph Curry, and Kyrie Irving, and would feature two of the league’s very best offenses going at it. The Cavs would likely be able to win a few games due to James’ dominance, but their lack of depth and role players will haunt them. This is just the Warriors year, as the team will take home the franchise’s first championship since 1975.