The Final 2024 LHS Production: Dancing at Lughnasa
Girls Lacrosse crank out an outstanding performance in a game against Lake Forest

Gym classes will be coed next year

Kayla Fiore
Freshman and sophomore gym classes are lined up to run the pacer test.

The gym classes at Libertyville High School currently have opposite genders in different classes, but on Dec. 17, it was announced that the classes will be changed to coed starting next year.

Physical Welfare Department Supervisor Patti Mascia found out from The Office of Civil Rights, part of the Department of Education, that classes need to be coeducational.

Libertyville High School was one of only nine schools in Illinois to get away with not enforcing the coed curriculum, according to Ms. Mascia.

“The general rule is that we start with the premise that classes should be coed. We can segregate only if voluntary. Students need to have a choice between coed and the same sex. We need a compelling reason for any segregation. In gym you can segregate students based on ability but not by gender.  This may consequently segregate by gender as well,” clarified Ms. Mascia.

Two days after she found out, Ms. Mascia informed the rest of the P.E. faculty of these new upcoming changes. Those teachers then informed their students that same day.

These new changes will lead to all gym classes being taught coed; this includes the swim unit.

In 2004, the gym curriculum that Ms. Mascia taught with Mr. Scott Schinto was coed and they experienced some difficulties.

“During the coed class, we would have the girls do their activities on one side of the gym and the guys on the other side, so it did not make much of a difference. But we did notice some students were not participating as much in the coed class,” Ms. Mascia explained.

Some students who are currently enrolled in a gym class are concerned about this new change.

“I feel like the girls will not want to try as hard in gym class in front of boys because guys make fun of girls when they try hard,” sophomore Amanda Mudd said, describing her concerns, which are similar to Ms. Mascia’s.

A group of sophomore guys in study hall all agreed that they don’t see the embarrassing perspective that girls are concerned about.

“Every guy will treat the girls with respect,” sophomore Daniel Marks stated.

This concern that Mudd has is also a concern to many other girls at the school, including junior Kelsey Schweiger.

“I also don’t want to swim with boys!” exclaimed both Mudd and Schweiger.

Many girls may be able to relate to why they won’t want to be with boys during the swim unit.

“During swim unit it’s embarrassing to girls because we have to wear swim caps, goggles, and a one piece! Guys don’t have to worry about that!” explained Mudd.