The Final 2024 LHS Production: Dancing at Lughnasa
Girls Lacrosse crank out an outstanding performance in a game against Lake Forest
Siblings on staff

Earth Without Art Is Just ‘Eh’: Art Show 2014

Photo by Kate Vittore
Many self portraits, including Emily Schuler’s, were hung on the bleachers.

The annual LHS Art Show took place on Thursday, May 22, from 6:30-8:00 p.m., and during the school day until noon on Friday, the next day, where students showed off their paintings, drawings, and sculptures for family and friends to admire.

Students from all art classes offered at LHS showcased their work in display cases, on the bleachers, and on boards scattered throughout the gym at the Art Show. Every art class was represented from Intro To 2D Art to AP Photo, and everything in between.

Olivia Richardson, a sophomore, showcased eight pieces of photography in the Art Show this year. Richardson was in Digital Photo Studio second semester, after taking Digital Photo One first.

“Seeing other people and their artwork was definitely my favorite part of the show,” she said. “It’s really cool to experience and see how your family and other people react to your work. We all put a lot of effort into our stuff, so seeing people finally get to look at it and say that they like it is really rewarding.”

People crammed into the gym throughout the day on May 22 to see their peers and what they had created. Art students wore their light green t-shirts with the small white Art Show logo in support of the annual event. Many students went during their lunch periods to admire the work that their friends had put out for them to see.

Sophomore Emily Schuler, a student in first period Painting Studio, had seven of her pieces featured in the art show.

“In the show, I had three drawings, one print, and 3 paintings including a digital painting that I really like,” said Schuler. Schuler said she enjoys seeing her art put out for people to see, and that art is a huge stress reliever for her. “I love hearing people talk about the pieces that are a result of my hard work throughout the year. It makes it all worth it.”

LHS offers more than 12 different art classes for students to take over the course of their high school experience. Freshmen start in an introductory class first semester, and then can expand to a more specific class second semester, such as Computer Arts, Digital Photography, Painting Studio, Ceramics, and so on. Sophomore through senior years vary based on the classes students have or have not already taken.

Emma Hanson, a junior, had seven of her creations in the art show.

“It was cool seeing your own stuff hung up after working on it for so long and having it look professional,” she said. Hanson was in Painting Studio first semester, followed by 3D Intro second semester. “It’s very rewarding to see everything come together,” she said.

Hanson said she is genuinely amazed how talented the people at this school are, and she thinks it’s cool to see different art from everybody.

At the Art Show, AP students get their own booths to showcase their work. Lots of students bring bean bag chairs, takeaway buttons for those who visit their station, candy, and other decorations to express their personalities through their displays. Some students brought in turntables and iPhone docks to play their favorite music, while others brought in stringed lights to drape throughout their areas. Lots of students in the AP classes paired up with friends to share booths for their art work.

Some students auctioned off their art for family and friends to enjoy. The silent auction bidding started around $5 for most pieces and could go as high as $100. Anything from paintings to photographs were included for people to bid on in support of the art program.

Erika Aoyagi, a sophomore, had three photos in the silent auction.

“It’s cool having stuff in the silent auction because people care enough to pay for your art work. I like that it comes back to the art department too, because that helps us,” she said.

Aoyagi sold her photos for $10, $25, and her highest bid at $30.