Boys volleyball fights hard against Glenbrook South Titans
Badminton gives their all on the courts against Glenbrook North
Girls lacrosse endures a hard fight against Lockport

You’re Going Where?!

Amongst the many seniors of LHS attending college this upcoming fall, a select few are wandering off the beaten path. Some members of the graduating class are going to far-off places that most people think more as a vacation than a school choice

Ellie Jenkins

Imagine crossing the North Atlantic Ocean every time you wanted to come home from college. For Ellie Jenkins, she doesn’t have to imagine it. In the fall, she will be attending the University of St. Andrews in Scotland.

“Well, it is in Scotland so that’s pretty nice and I spent my junior year in Germany, so I kind of wanted to be close to the friends I made and because I am going to be doing languages there,” replied Jenkins when asked why she chose the University of St. Andrews.

Jenkins will be studying German, Russian, and Spanish as her majors while attending the university. “I know German, I’m fluent in it. That is my master and I’m going to study further into that. Then, Russian and Spanish will pretty much be new. I mean, besides the Spanish I took in middle school,” said Jenkins.

“I’m just really excited about being in such a beautiful place; it really is amazing and medieval. Every single building in that town is just about older than this country. They have been celebrating their 600-year anniversary for a couple years because they can’t really pinpoint the date exactly. It’s just about six hundred and I think that it just really awesome.”

Ellie Jenkins

Zoë Wheeler

Even though it’s still in the country, Zoë Wheeler is going somewhere most people think of as more of a tropical vacation then a college choice. She is going to the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

“I know I enjoy being outdoors and it is a great school for marine biology. That’s my major and then I will hopefully minor in Hawaiian Studies,” said Wheeler about why she chose University of Hawaii at Manoa.

Wheeler is planning on joining the surfing club and possibly the beach volleyball team while she attends the school and is excited about being able to meet new people with different backgrounds and the warm Hawaii weather.

“Well, just that it is Hawaii and it is known for being known for being beautiful and the campus is beautiful and it’s very open, and I’m just excited about being able to go and get out of Libertyville. I have traveled my whole life, so I don’t usually tend to stay in one place for very long,” replied Wheeler about the unusual location for a college choice. “I didn’t plan to go that far away. My brother and sister are both in the Midwest still for college but I’ve lived in so many different places that it doesn’t bother me at all.”

zoe

Scott Metzger

Scott Metzger will soon be heard saying “Aim high – Fly, Fight, Win!” Once the fall rolls around, he will be attending the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

“It was one of my top three schools. I wanted to go there or the naval academy,” said Metzger about why he chose the academy.

Metzger is planning on trying out for the varsity lacrosse team and the Green Beret Club. That club flies  in and parachute from airplanes before football games.

Along with the regular school year, the academy also has summer courses. “Over the summer you do basic training and you also go out for three weeks and do survival training,” said Metzger.

When asked what he is most looking forward to, Metzger replied, “Haha, the excitement!”

Metzger is planning on flying airplanes for the Air Force as a career once he gets done with school.

scott

Nicole Pink

Walk, walk, fashion baby, work it… all the way to University of Nevada, Las Vegas. At least that’s what Nicole Pink is doing.

Pink is going to the university in order to study Fashion Design as her major and is planning on trying out for the UNLV cheerleading team, where she will hopefully be cheering for the football and basketball seasons on their all-girl competitive team.

“I’ve always wanted to have my own label and I have recently started working on one and I would like to one day produce it but first I would like to work somewhere in the industry designing for other fashion houses and then slowly go into my own company,” said Pink about her career goals.

After getting her  general education requirements out of the way, Pink, is planning on leaving UNLV for the International Academy of Design and Technology in Las Vegas.

She won’t have to worry about missing her family while heading out west: “It [UNLV] has a really nice campus and the school has a lot of good resources for students and plus my family will be moving out there so I will be close to my family.”

nicole