Dance Team Finishes Strong at State

Dance Team Finishes Strong at State

The Libertyville varsity dance team finished their competition season with a bang, taking 6th place at the State Competition last Saturday.

This marks the second consecutive season that the dance team has reached the State Competition in Bloomington, but this year marked a stark improvement from last year’s 23rd place finish. Last year’s experience helped to fuel the Cats from day one this season, who carried a winning attitude throughout the year.

“This year was different because normally we start out as underdogs, but we finished 2nd in our first competition and from that point on, we were on top,” said senior Sarah Krumm.

And spending time on top never rattled the Wildcats, who embraced their newfound role as team to beat and used it as fuel that would take them to a high state finish.

“It was a really good pressure because it kept us more focused and made us want to be even better,” offered sophomore Kristen Luce.

Another key factor that separates the Cats from the competition is their chemistry. The team has been spending time together most days since last June, when their practices began. Such a tight-knit group equates to a tightly run team, according to Luce.

“When we give each other corrections no one feels offended by what we’re saying or takes it personally…we all have the same goal and are trying to get better,” she explained.

This close kinship proved to be crucial to the team when managing the high stakes of performing at State. Instead of letting the added pressure get to them, the dancers relied on each other and delivered one of their best performances in the preliminaries, where they placed fourth.

Dancing at state in the U.S. Cellular Coliseum was a drastic step up from typical competition venues. Instead of a high school gym, the team performed on a huge stage, accompanied with glaring spotlights that shone on the dancers.

“There was so much energy within the stadium, you could just feel it the minute you walked in. I think the adrenaline actually pushed us to do our best,” stated senior captain Steph Uliks.

Their fourth place showing in the preliminaries sent them to the second day, where they nabbed a strong 6th place finish. And perhaps the most encouraging thing of all? The team returns 12 of the 17 dancers for next year’s team. It looks like the Cats will be have to stay comfortable with their new title as team to beat.