Jazz Bands Perform in Final Concert of the Year
Boys water polo seizes senior night success over Highland Park
Boys volleyball comes up just short against Carmel Corsairs

Academy Awards Predictions

As most people are getting ready to make their March Madness brackets, I am making my Academy Award predictions.

As most people are getting ready to make their March Madness brackets, I am making my Academy Award predictions. Awards season is my favorite time of the year. Predicting the outcome of the Oscars has to be one of my favorite past time activities, everything from the fashion on the Red Carpet to the acceptance speeches makes me so excited. All of the films and actors nominated were outstanding, so it was very difficult to pick the best.

Best Picture: “12 Years a Slave”

This was the hardest category for me to predict. There were so many great films nominated for best picture, and there is no one film that greatly stood out among the rest. I pick “12 Years a Slave” due to the amazing cast, writing, and its brutal look back on slavery in the United States. This brilliant film received gushing reviews, and it is very deserving of an Oscar.

Could Win: “Gravity”

Should Win: “12 Years a Slave”

Lead Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio

Apart from the fact that I just really want DiCaprio to finally win an Academy Award, he gave a truly outstanding performance in “Wolf of Wall Street.” His character and the movie as a whole really sheds a light on America’s obsession with wealth and doing anything to obtain it.

Could Win: Matthew McConaughey, “Dallas Buyers Club”

Should Win: Chiwetel Ejiofor, “12 Years a Slave”

Supporting Actor: Jared Leto

Leto gives a wrenching performance as a transgender woman in “Dallas Buyers Club.” He went to extraordinary lengths to put humanity into his character, and did a great job executing the controversial role. He has already picked up multiple awards for this part, and I predict he will walk away with an Oscar as well.

Could Win: Bradley Cooper, “American Hustle”

Should Win: Michael Fassbender, “12 Years a Slave”

Lead Actress: Cate Blanchett

Although the Lead Actress category was full of actresses who put on amazing performances, Cate Blanchett stands above the rest for her role in Woody Allen’s “Blue Jasmine.” She added great literary complexity to her character and acted with authenticity that blew away viewers across the nation.

Could Win: Amy Adams, “American Hustle”

Should Win: Cate Blanchett, “Blue Jasmine”

Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong’o

Lupita Nyong’o is a name that has come out of everybody’s mouth this award season. She is the latest up-and-coming actress who has out shined all of the other celebrities on the red carpet, and just graduated from Yale. Apart from her stunning looks, knowledge, and great sense of fashion, Nyong’o gave a gut-wrenching performance as the tortured Patsey in “12 Years a Slave.” She has caught the attention of A-List stars like Brad Pitt, who wants to make her a star. She captured her character beautifully and put a proper amount of emotion behind her role, and for that reason, I think she will get the Oscar.

Could Win: Jennifer Lawrence, “American Hustle”

Should Win: Lupita Nyong’o, “12 Years a Slave”

Animated Film: “Frozen”

This new Disney film has been all the rage since it came out in November. The movie is loosely based off Hans Christian Andersen’s “Snow Queen,” and combines a great story and impeccable animation. There is no doubt that it has captured the hearts of  people, and I predict that it will capture the Oscar come March.

Could Win: “Despicable Me 2”

Should Win: “The Wind Rises”

Cinematography: “Gravity”

Director Alfonso Cuaron had the ambitious idea for this movie seven years ago, and has succeeded with producing the best outer space footage ever seen in Hollywood. There is a great sense of mystery that follows this movie since viewers have no idea how this movie was done and how it looks so realistic. Much effort was put into “Gravity” by the cast and crew, and the final product is Oscar-worthy, indeed.

Could Win: “Nebraska”

Should Win: “Inside Llewyn Davis”

Costume Design: “The Great Gatsby”

Even though my opinion of this film isn’t very good, the costume design was incredible. While the movie did a poor job representing the Jazz Age, I felt like all of the costumes captured the lavish 1920s style.

Could Win: “American Hustle”

Should Win: “The Great Gatsby”

Directing: “Gravity”

Director Alfonso Cuaron has directed many great films, like the third chapter of “Harry Potter,” and “Gravity” is no different. I predict this movie to win for Directing for many of the same reasons I think it will win for Cinematography.

Could Win: “12 Years a Slave”

Should Win: “Gravity”

Writing Original Screenplay: “Her”

“Her” was one of my personal favorites out of the films this year. This movie took a very different approach to a futuristic love story, and makes the audience think about technology in today’s world and how it can be used in the future. The writing was thought-provoking, beautiful, and well constructed.

Could Win: “Blue Jasmine”

Should Win: “Her”

Writing Adapted Screenplay: “12 Years a Slave”

This category was another hard one to decide upon. Although all of the adapted films did a nice job,“12 Years a Slave” was a very accurate representation of the book. For the same reasons I predict it will win for Best Picture this year, I think it will win for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Could Win: “Captain Phillips”

Should Win: “Before Midnight”