23 LHS students make IMEA’s All-State Competition

Mr. Dustin Helvie
The 23 IMEA finalists pose for a picture

This year, 23 LHS musicians in choir, band, and orchestra were selected for the Illinois Music Educators Association District 7 Festival from their auditions in early October and will be traveling to Peoria to participate in an All-State competition.

In the world of music, IMEA is one of the most prestigious and exciting competitions an Illinois high school musician can participate in. IMEA is an organization with district orchestras, bands and choirs throughout the state. Students begin preparation early in the school year for IMEA and get around a month and a half to practice their music.

When asked how she prepared for the IMEA choir competition, senior Hannah Anderson said, “I sang a lot. I did a lot of sectionals with Dr. Brown. I just sang all the time. I’ve been preparing for this for a long time, and I’m lucky to be in a school with such an amazing music department.”

Auditions for the competition were held in different schools around Illinois. LHS hosted the choir students, while Zion hosted the band and Crystal Lake hosted orchestra. Students are asked to play multiple scales and a specific piece for the judges, and are then scored. IMEA is a non-profit organization that has more than 3,500 participants from every level of music education each year.

“The whole experience is super fun, and it’s an awesome way to meet new people. I’ve kept in touch with my stand partners even though they went to college,” said Ingrid Reid, a senior cello player.

Reid is in the chamber orchestra, Libertyville’s highest level. When asked how she prepared for her audition, Reid said, “Lots of practicing, and using recordings on YouTube to play along with.”

When asked how she was feeling during her audition for IMEA, sophomore bassoon-player Harriet Legan said, “Nervous. This was a very nerve-wracking experience, but I was very happy with how it all turned out.” Legan is one of the youngest musicians from LHS to be a finalist. “I was obviously very excited when I got the news that I was a finalist,” she said.

The finalists will now travel to Peoria, Illinois, for the All-State competition next month, featuring the winners of each district of Illinois.