Let’s go on a Roadtrip

photo courtesy of flickr

Make this summer the best one yet by exploring the wild and crazy Midwest. Grab a couple of friends, jump in a car, and discover some of these recommended locations that the Midwest has to offer!

Starved Rock, Illinois (info from starvedrockstatepark.org)

Description of Place: This state park in Oglesby, Illinois, is well-known for its hiking trails as well as its canyons and waterfalls. Dozens of animal species can be spotted at the park, including deer, beavers, badgers, raccoon, eagles, toads, turkeys and many more.

How far away: 1 hour and 52 minutes (116 miles)

Available activities: The park has more than 13 miles of trails and you can plan your hiking based on skill level. They also have water-related activities, such as kayaking, rafting, and boating.

Door County, Wisconsin (info from doorcounty.com)

Description of Place: From beaches and islands to parks and geographic formations, there are countless scenic attractions to discover in Door County. It is also a center for art, culture, and history with its numerous art studios, jewelry stores, and museums. Its many restaurants offer fresh and local comfort food. One of the their famous restaurants –Al Johnson’s Swedish Restaurant and Butik — features live goats on its grassy roof!

How far away: 3 hours and 10 minutes (207.5 miles)

Available activities: Water activities (canoeing, kayaking, kiteboarding, paddle boarding, parasailing, scuba diving, and tubing) and scenic state parks that offer hiking, swimming, fishing, camping, golf courses and biking in the Wisconsin wilderness.

Indianapolis, Indiana (info from visitindy.com)

Description of Place: Downtown Indianapolis offers concert venues for popular bands, museum exhibits, and unique restaurants and shops. Along with the city, there are outdoor areas, such as parks and beaches along Eagle Creek Reservoir.

How far away: 3 hours and 27 minutes  (225.8 miles)

Available activities: Indianapolis Zoo, Go Ape Treetop Adventure (zip lining), White River State Park, Freedom Springs Aquatic Park, Eagle Creek Park and Marina (swimming, canoeing, kayaking, and boating are available)

Weird and wacky landmarks to visit in Illinois (information from thrillist.com):

World’s Largest Catsup Bottle

Where: Colinsville

How far away: 4 hours and 31 minutes (307 miles)

What: A 170-foot tall bottle that represents a Brook’s catsup bottle and used to serve as a water tower. There is also a World’s Largest Catsup Bottle Festival every summer on July 10 in Woodland Park.

Leaning Tower of Niles

Where: Niles

How far away: 36 minutes(24.6 miles)

What: This tower is a half-size replica of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. It was built in 1934 as part of a recreation park for employees of the Ilg Hot Air Electric Ventilating Company of Chicago.

Tower of Baa-Goat

Where: Windsor

How far away: 3 hours 32 minutes (233.7 miles)

What: It is a house for goats modeled after the goat houses used in South Africa. The original goat tower was built in Portugal, and this is the only one found in the U.S.

Tips:

Helpful apps (information from ebay.com):

• “Hotels Tonight”- Last-minute hotel rooms for great discounts
  • “Open Table”- Make reservations for restaurants in the area while stuck in traffic
  • “Along the Way”- The app searches around your route for cool spots on the way to your destination
  • “Spotify”- To make your road trip playlist for when you hit the road
  • “Gas Buddy”- Road trips mean you will have to fill up multiple times, and Gas Buddy helps you track down the cheapest nearby gas stations
  • “Roadtrippers”- The ultimate road trip planner: find the best diners, scenic spots, attractions, and hotels for your route
  • “TV Food Maps”- Find and track famous restaurants mentioned on Food Network and travel shows (shows like “Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives” and “Man vs. Food)

Items you may need (information from hotbeautyhealth.com):

• First aid kit
  • Camera
  • Snacks/food (non-perishables such as pretzels, chips, granola bars, dried fruit and trail mix)
  • Mosquito spray
  • Sunglasses
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Auto essentials (spare tire, motor oil, etc.)
  • Sleeping gear (If you wish to camp outside)
  • Portable charger
  • GPS
  • Blankets and pillows for the car
  • Sunscreen
  • Water
  • Hygiene bag with deodorant, towelettes, and dry shampoo (you may not have a shower available every single night)
  • Cooler (for leftovers and water)
  • Garbage bags
  • Roadside emergency kit (can be found on Amazon.com)
  • Rain gear (umbrellas, waterproof jacket/shoes)
  • Games and activities for on-the-go