So, where are you going?

“Read this and you’ll never have to hear that dreaded question again!”

Kyle Patterson

Kyle Patterson

Demi Glusic, Online Editor

Dear high school students, are you fearing those big family gatherings knowing that everybody and their cousin will come up to ask that one dreaded question? Do you know what question I’m talking about? Let me give you a hint, it typically it begins with “Hi ____, long time, no see! So… Do you know where you are going to school yet?”

Don’t worry, it’s all too common. The topic is almost unavoidable and most of us are in the same boat. Freshmen, they don’t have it so bad quite yet; it’s still early in the game. But be warned, the minute the bell rings for first period sophomore year, it has begun. Now every single social event you go to, be prepared for the bombardment of that one. darn. question.

Junior year, the fire only picks up. I can’t begin to think how many times I’ve been asked this just these past few months alone. Like please, just take a chill pill. I haven’t even begun to look at schools yet, and I bet I’m not the only one who hasn’t either! Boy, I can’t even imagine how bad the seniors have it, yet at least by then, most students have at least some idea as to where they might be going. Unlike me, the only place I know I’m going for sure is to the fridge. (I will right after typing this sentence; I’m starving.)

Ok, that was a good snack. Now, where was I? Oh right! This question is asked so many times that I have practically come up with an automated response. And to be honest, half of the time people who ask aren’t genuinely interested; they ask because it’s the only thing that can think to talk about with us. I could probably say “I’m living abroad among polar bears while studying the effects of leopard seals eating fish,” because the topic goes past so quickly, nor do they actually always care or listen.

Even the third cousin of my grandfather’s adopted niece twice removed asks that persistent question. I don’t even know who you are and you’re asking me! I bet everyone thinks that they are being unique by asking such a question. Friendly newsflash, you’re not! Hate to break it to you, but that’s the truth. It’s a neverending stream of asking where we are going or what we plan to do.

Some of you underclassmen who are reading this are like, “Hey! That sounds like me!” Well then, here is a solution: it’s super simple and only requires three materials. Cardboard, a black marker, and a string or cord of some type.

All you need to do is write on the cardboard: “I’m going to *insert school here* and I am interested in *insert career path here.*” Then, tie the string onto the cardboard and hang the sign around your neck. Now, if anyone approaches you and was wondering, PRESTO! No need to explain yourself because they can read your response right then and there. Now they can ask more pressing, less stressful questions like “How is your dog doing?” or “Where are your shoes from?”

Don’t get me wrong: I and others, I’m sure, do appreciate the interest in our futures that everyone is curious about, but sometimes it just gets to be too much to handle ourselves. That doesn’t mean stop asking us about our future plans, but perhaps there are alternative ways to find out the information you are seeking. For example, ask our parents or siblings. They don’t get bothered by these questions, so I’m sure they’d be happy to assist you if they know the answer!

And if they do begin to get annoyed, I give you my permission to continue pestering anyways; better them than us