The Final 2024 LHS Production: Dancing at Lughnasa
Girls Lacrosse crank out an outstanding performance in a game against Lake Forest

Turner’s Hat Trick Propels Boys Water Polo to Senior Night Victory

TJ Murbach
The Wildcats huddle up for a second half timeout during their 7-4 victory over Mt. Prospect.

On Thursday April 27th, Libertyville defeated Mt. Prospect 7-4 to improve their record to 15-6-3.

After the annual Senior Night ceremony, the Wildcats began their revenge against Mt. Prospect. In their last meeting earlier this season, Mt. Prospect hit a buzzer-beater to end the game in a 7-7 tie. Libertyville had this game circled on their schedule to prove to themselves as the better team since they feel they should have won their earlier meeting with the Knights.

Defense headlined the first quarter, which ended 1-1. Senior Scott Villiard scored the only goal of the quarter for the Wildcats.

The excitement picked up in the second quarter when Mt. Prospect took a 2-1 lead on a controversial goal. It appeared that the ball hit the post and never actually crossed the goal line. The referees met and discussed the play, but they decided to stick with their initial decision. On the ensuing Wildcats possession, senior Eric Turner scored to even the score at two. Then Turner struck again with his second goal in as many possessions to give Libertyville the lead.

The wild second quarter continued as the Knights and Wildcats continued to trade goals in a cat-and-mouse affair, with the halftime score being 4-4.

The Wildcats dominated the third quarter, outscoring the Knights 3-0, with goals from seniors Billy Becker, Eric Mueller and the third goal of the night for Turner. Like the first quarter, defense was the name of the game in the fourth, with the Wildcats winning by a final score of 7-4.

After the game, Becker commented on the significance of this victory: “It was our last game in the LHS pool, so it was a somber moment. The revenge on Prospect was also a nice end to my time in that pool.”